Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time sewing...oh boy!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 13 Replies

I mustered up the energy to finally open up the sewing machine my parents got me for Christmas!  I dusted off this book I've been drooling over for the past couple months- err...years.  I've spent my creative energy on paper goods such as cards, scrapbooking and other things (used to be a hairdresser and played with hair all day).  But sewing...eek!  A whole new ballgame.  

For those seasoned sewers out there...what's the best advice you can give a newbie like me?  Should I take a class or just go for it?  My grandmother and dad sew and taught me the basics.  How did you get started sewing?  Has anybody created anything from this book?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
..MoonShine..
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:59 PM
2 moms liked this
LOL I just dove right in. MIL gave me her old machine (and old Kenmore), showed me how to use it, and sent me on my way. I am pretty much completely self taught...going based on tutorials and youtube videos.

Definitely read the manual, then get to know your machine. Use some scrap fabric to practice sewing straight lines. Start with an easy project so that you don't get frustrated and give up.

Good luck and have fun!!
jazzybellerina
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, MoonShine!  You are so lucky to have inherited a sewing machine and to have been taught by your MIL.  My grandma passed a couple years ago so I only have my memory to go by...and that's not saying much!  LOL

I forgot about YouTube videos.  Thanks for the tip.  I will look them up.  You're awesome!

..MoonShine..
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I have to admit that after awhile, I did buy an updated machine with more stitch options, but I still have that old Kenmore. LOL Honestly, I've only been sewing about a year. I still mess up and get frustrated. It just takes practice! 

Quoting jazzybellerina:

Thanks, MoonShine!  You are so lucky to have inherited a sewing machine and to have been taught by your MIL.  My grandma passed a couple years ago so I only have my memory to go by...and that's not saying much!  LOL

I forgot about YouTube videos.  Thanks for the tip.  I will look them up.  You're awesome!

Bailee2b
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I got the same book for xmas year before last and I still haven't sewn anything lol!
jazzybellerina
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Ooh, nice!  The last sewing machine I touched from built in the 50's or something.  It was a singer and all metal.  When I opend my new one yesterday, I was going ga-ga over different types of stitching.  

jazzybellerina
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I got mine when I was inspired to sew...then I had my daughter.  LOL  Now, I have a bit mroe time to get into it.  Did you know there's another one with new projects?  I'd take a picture of it, but I don't know where I put it. 

The projects in the 2nd book aren't as cool as the 1st, but still really cute!

Quoting Bailee2b:

I got the same book for xmas year before last and I still haven't sewn anything lol!

Bailee2b
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I haven't seen the new book, but now I will probably buy it and still not sew from either lol!

Quoting jazzybellerina:

I got mine when I was inspired to sew...then I had my daughter.  LOL  Now, I have a bit mroe time to get into it.  Did you know there's another one with new projects?  I'd take a picture of it, but I don't know where I put it. 

Quoting Bailee2b:

jazzybellerina
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:19 PM

LOL!  That's what I'm doing, too!  Just don't lose yours like I did.  Maybe if/when I find it, I'll be at the point where I can actually sew.

Quoting Bailee2b:

I haven't seen the new book, but now I will probably buy it and still not sew from either lol!

Quoting jazzybellerina:

Quoting Bailee2b:

PattyinNV
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Try making a pillow, they're real easy to make and you'll be very happy with the results!  You can either use polyfil to stuff it or buy the pillow form which I would recommend.  G' luck!

MrsSexyCurtains
by Jasmine on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:32 PM
YouTube has been my best friend for every craft item I've made. I've learned how to knit, crochet, sew, quilt and make bows lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)