Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

starting out

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 10 Replies

So what books, videos or other resources would you recommend to someone (me haha) who wants to learn to sew and either crochet or knit (i'm not really sure how much difference there is between the two) but isn't sure where to start. I know a little about hand sewing. I can hand sew minor rips and tears etc, but i'd really like to start **making** things.

Come on ladies. Share your wisdom.

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catevincesmom
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM

YouTube has quite a few how-to videos on different things.  Also, Pinterest may give you some ideas.  :-)

AriannasMommy84
by Group Admin on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM

YouTube

<3 Crystal <3
Wife to Clay(2008),
Mommy to Arianna(2003),
Fur baby fettuccine(2009),
Isabella(2009),
& Madelyn(2011)
American by birth, (Retired)USAF wife by the Grace of God

coast guardknittingteen girltoddler girlbaby girlcat

Rust.n.Gears
by Group Admin on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Use the internet and your local library to start out. Each of these things can go in many directions and it is best not to invest a lot in the beginning.

Check out youtube, pinterest, ravelry first. I know ravelry also has groups like this site does for beginners in knitting, crochet, and even sewing. It is great to have lots of support in the beginning.

If you need more help after that look into local yarn stores for classes, your local hobby stores (Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby), and sewing stores or quilting ones. Oh and check Ravelry for a local knitting group to get first hand support. In the tab for groups you can check for local knitting groups through the search.

melliburger
by Melli on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM

There are some sites that are specifically for beginners in all areas. Such as a "beginners sewing blog" or something like that.

I cannot crochet or knit, but I do loom knit. I think it's easier than knitting or crochet, or at least for me it is. I'm not coordinated enough for the two needles that normal knitting requires!

Linagma03
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Crocheting was easier to learn than knitting. I got some inexpensive books at Micheals and began with baby blankets because they were smaller and easier to handle, the books showed for each blanket pattern how to make the stitches using both words and pictures and believe me I kept going between the pattern and the stitch diagram alot to begin with. After I felt comfortable with the smaller blankets and afghans I got an inexpensive book to make the full sized afghans again the books showed for each pattern how to make the stitches. 

I am glad the ladies here gave you the names of sites to go to because I want to make clothes for one of the kids that we have an extremely hard time getting clothes to fit. I want to learn to sew the knit kind of material and the t-shirt material. 

GoldenLinds
by Lindsay on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM
I agree. Everyone has had excellent advice but here is a big tip. Learn to knit before you learn to crochet. My own experience and many discussions with others have concluded that learning crochet is easier. But most people find that if they can learn crocheting they struggle learning to knit but if they learn t o knit then learning crochet is still just as easy. Hope all this made sense.
seximami111
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I'd say youtube. I learned to crochet and sew-by-hand when I was young. I'd like to start sewing with a machine now.
jryberg
by Jaime on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:34 PM

You might check out Craftsy.com; they have a bunch of free classes that I have watched to learn some basics. 

DawnPratt23
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM

youtube is the best for instruction videos.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I agree with what others have said YouTube, Pinterest, books from the library, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)