Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Marketing?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM
  • 8 Replies
I know nothing about marketing.

NOTHING.

Right now I am just updating my FB page every few days - both pictures and comment. I share on a couple of FB yard sale pages.

I post to Craigslist three times a week.

That's it.

What else can I do to get the word out? Any books or ideas on how to grow??

Thanks in advance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AriannasMommy84
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM

twitter? Instagram? What about getting one of those magnetic signs for your car? This would be a post for Cody! :-)

<3 Crystal <3
Wife to Clay(2008),
Mommy to Arianna(2003),
Fur baby fettuccine(2009),
Isabella(2009),
& Madelyn(2011)
American by birth, (Retired)USAF wife by the Grace of God

coast guardknittingteen girltoddler girlbaby girlcat

AriannasMommy84
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Maybe Google+?

<3 Crystal <3
Wife to Clay(2008),
Mommy to Arianna(2003),
Fur baby fettuccine(2009),
Isabella(2009),
& Madelyn(2011)
American by birth, (Retired)USAF wife by the Grace of God

coast guardknittingteen girltoddler girlbaby girlcat

melliburger
by Melli on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Google+, tumblr, instagram, facebook, twitter, word of mouth. Leave business cards in places. Start connecting with people, i.e. instead of just psoting "come visit my site" post "what's your favorite color?" or "who can guess from this pic what I'm making next?"

Pinterest is another marketing option. Wanelo as well. A blog can help a lot especially when you want to hose giveaways.

Do you have an actual store front like on etsy or storenvy? Or do you sell on your fb page?

jridgill
by Jennifer on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I have found the very best advertisement is word of mouth from previous customers! Good luck!
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM
I have a storenvy and FB.

I have gotten some traffic by word of mouth, but I'd like to be more proactive with growing my business.

Quoting melliburger:

Google+, tumblr, instagram, facebook, twitter, word of mouth. Leave business cards in places. Start connecting with people, i.e. instead of just psoting "come visit my site" post "what's your favorite color?" or "who can guess from this pic what I'm making next?"

Pinterest is another marketing option. Wanelo as well. A blog can help a lot especially when you want to hose giveaways.

Do you have an actual store front like on etsy or storenvy? Or do you sell on your fb page?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhichMommee
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:36 AM

As has been mentioned, social media is a great marketing outlet.  For nearly all of it is free.  Many of the channels also have business areas that are specifically set up for use.

Simply put, marketing is about communicating your message and what you provide (not just products or services, but also how it solves a "problem" for your customer) to the person who wants/needs it.  This takes the form of telling people about what you're working on, what you've made, and things you may be working on as well.

It's a great idea for small businesses to infuse their personality into their brand because it helps make you relatable.  For the most part you're not going to have a huge marketing budget or a large team of people so you need to amp up your advantages (like the fact that people get to talk directly to the artist) in your favor.

Word of mouth is usually hands down the best referral, but you can take this a step further by getting testimonials from your customers too.  Many people make their decisions only after reading reviews, especially on a product or provider they aren't personally familiar with.  If you have a blog you can set up a specific page where you put up testimonials for people to view and direct them to that page now and then in your marketing efforts.  And even if you don't both Wordpress & Blogger are free.

*Note:  when  you start to increase your marketing efforts you'll notice a slow climb usually.  If your people are used to seeing you post only a few times a week and you double that it's going to take time for them to get used to that.  Invariably you're going to reach m ore people because on most social media channels everyone doesn't see every one of your posts (unless they troll your page directly).  So keep that in mind.  For Facebook especially, make sure you peep in on your insights because they give valuable information about what posts are seen most and how people interact with them. :)

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Just seeing this! Thanks for the referral Ariannasmommy84!

Like Melli mentioned, there is a TON of sites to use. None work if all you do is post a link to your site though. It's about engagement! Ask people what they are up to, what's in their mug, what their favorite color is. I wrote a blog post about that you can read here that will help you learn marketing with engagement. http://www.daftcrafts.net/2013/06/ten-facebook-statuses-to-get-people.html

Additionally, free sites to post your items to are Pinterest, Wanelo, Amazine, Picsity are all similar. You add something called a Bookmarklet into your browser, then visit your store. Use the bookmarklet to add your product to their site, where people can find it by browsing. :) Pinterest is more for stealing ideas and DIY crafts junk, but Wanelo is built for products that are for sale, as is Picsity. Amazine is similar but more like an online magazine, so you can be wordy.

Other outlets that are good for building your audience are Twitter, tumblr, Facebook, a blog, forums, communities, networking groups (go offline and join your local women in business network! Join a play group! MEET PEOPLE). Meeting people is how you build your audience.

Once you have started building your audience, remember it takes TIME. Months, or even years, for a business to get off the ground. Also, make sure your product photography is stellar and you are using keyword rich product descriptions. :)

jridgill
by Jennifer on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:14 PM
I actually get tons of sales from Pinterest. I had a dress go viral there and I've made tons of sells from other visiting my shop to find it. I only sell a couple a month and I get many messages a day about it. They browse my shop while they are there and many buy. Just my experience.

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Just seeing this! Thanks for the referral Ariannasmommy84!

Like Melli mentioned, there is a TON of sites to use. None work if all you do is post a link to your site though. It's about engagement! Ask people what they are up to, what's in their mug, what their favorite color is. I wrote a blog post about that you can read here that will help you learn marketing with engagement. http://www.daftcrafts.net/2013/06/ten-facebook-statuses-to-get-people.html

Additionally, free sites to post your items to are Pinterest, Wanelo, Amazine, Picsity are all similar. You add something called a Bookmarklet into your browser, then visit your store. Use the bookmarklet to add your product to their site, where people can find it by browsing. :) Pinterest is more for stealing ideas and DIY crafts junk, but Wanelo is built for products that are for sale, as is Picsity. Amazine is similar but more like an online magazine, so you can be wordy.

Other outlets that are good for building your audience are Twitter, tumblr, Facebook, a blog, forums, communities, networking groups (go offline and join your local women in business network! Join a play group! MEET PEOPLE). Meeting people is how you build your audience.

Once you have started building your audience, remember it takes TIME. Months, or even years, for a business to get off the ground. Also, make sure your product photography is stellar and you are using keyword rich product descriptions. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)