Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Is anyone in here left handed?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM
  • 11 Replies
I was just curious if you find it difficult to learn to knit. I have tried before and it did not end well and I want to try again. Thanks for any answers!
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Melli on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I'm not left handed and I fail at knitting! But good luck to you :)

asterisks
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Thank you! I failed miserably the first time but I really want to try again. It seems like anytime anyone in my family tries to teach me it gets confusing and frustrating because I cannot just copy them.
Quoting melliburger:

melliburger
by Melli on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Lots of people recommend using youtube to learn how to knit! Maybe you could try there? Other than that, again, I really fail at knitting lol I do loom knit but that's different.

Quoting asterisks:

Thank you! I failed miserably the first time but I really want to try again. It seems like anytime anyone in my family tries to teach me it gets confusing and frustrating because I cannot just copy them.
Quoting melliburger:

djscinnabun
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM

My mother is left handed and I'm naturally right handed, but from learning to adjust and to accomodate for things designed for her (everything from computer setup to kitchen tools, scissors, etc.) over the last 28 years, I developed ambidexterity! I crochet and use a knitting loom left handed but haven't yet tried traditional knitting... Have you tried facing someone and mirroring rather than mimicking their technique? I wonder if YouTube might have any resources better designed for lefties? Also, if you're anywhere near a Michael's, the store manager might be able to find and arrange a beginners knitting class specifically for left handed crafters, though there would likely be a small fee.

asterisks
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Thank you for the suggestion!
Quoting melliburger:

Lots of people recommend using youtube to learn how to knit! Maybe you could try there? Other than that, again, I really fail at knitting lol I do loom knit but that's different.

Quoting asterisks:

Quoting melliburger:

asterisks
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Wow your mom is lucky I had to suck it up and learn to use everything made for right handed people lol! I haven't tried mirroring anyone and I actually never thought of it so thank you for the idea. I always just sat beside them. I am not sure where a Michael's is but I do know where a Hobby Lobby is. I think a lot of me quitting had to do with how frustrating it can be and then on top of that not being able to copy them.
Quoting djscinnabun:

My mother is left handed and I'm naturally right handed, but from learning to adjust and to accomodate for things designed for her (everything from computer setup to kitchen tools, scissors, etc.) over the last 28 years, I developed ambidexterity! I crochet and use a knitting loom left handed but haven't yet tried traditional knitting... Have you tried facing someone and mirroring rather than mimicking their technique? I wonder if YouTube might have any resources better designed for lefties? Also, if you're anywhere near a Michael's, the store manager might be able to find and arrange a beginners knitting class specifically for left handed crafters, though there would likely be a small fee.

jas_momof2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I am left handed.  I knit and crochet right handed though only cause that's how I learned.  Crochetgeek on Youtube does her tutorials left handed as well.  She'll put out a pattern right handed but will follow it up left handed a day or so later.

AngryBob
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:49 AM

i don't know how to knit, but my mom taught me how to crochet by sitting in front of me, and having me mirror her movements. i'm the only lefty in the family, so once she realized that's all she had to do (mirror), learning things came super quick. that's how she taught me to tie my shoes, sew, all kinds of things. some things i had to do right handed, like use scissors and throw a ball (since we couldn't afford a lefty mitt), but that's how i learned a lot of fine motor skills. i even sign language left handed (when i was learning.)

youtube is a great resource to learning. i suggest getting an actual mirror, too, and practice in front of it.

Rust.n.Gears
by Group Admin on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I was born left handed, then forced to use my right, but still favor my left now that I am ambidexturous. I never had an issue with knitting once I actually learned how. It takes time to learn but that is how it is with anything. You just have to go slow.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I am not. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN