Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

BIG OOPS!!

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Last night I met with my Ravelry group.  I brought in a wrap and was working on the ribbed bottom.

A lady sitting across from me was checking it out and asked if I was doing a twisted rib.  I said no, this is just a normal knit 2 purl 2 design.  She looked at it more closely and told me I was doing twisted knit stitches. I wrap my yarn from the right side over my back needle. This can cause added tension in the piece.

You can see it more clearly here on another project.  My purl stitches are fine, so every other row is off.  The "Y" crosses itself near the bottom.

I have no idea how long I've been knitting this way, but it has been years. I've never had good luck with making clothes because they never shaped right, and now I can see why! Even this simple piece looks distorted!

I'm still laughing at myself over this.  Learn something new every day, right?

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jas_momof2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM

That's right!  I'm finding things all the time :)

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM
At least now you know!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melliburger
by Melli on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Whoa! Good thing she was able to help! :)

jae414
by Jae on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I did the same thing!!! I've been using twisted knit stitches to make things since I learned how to knit, and now I can't get the hang of knitting the right way. :(
jryberg
by Jaime on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM

that's great that you learned something and can make adjustments to your future projects :) 

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Live and learn!

anng.atlanta
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I've been able to adjust, but I have to pay attention. I normally can go on autopilot on long knit rows, so I don't trust myself.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. :0)

Quoting jae414:

I did the same thing!!! I've been using twisted knit stitches to make things since I learned how to knit, and now I can't get the hang of knitting the right way. :(

jridgill
by Jennifer on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I learn new stuff all the time! Glad you know! I'm always thankful when others help me out.
kikyo1
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Wow crazy i didnt know that hmmm nice to know sorry it is such a pain to change now even more so when you get in a grove and just go and now you have to slow down and think i hate that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN