Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much should I pay for this?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 20 Replies

I am wanting to commission someone to make a full size quilt for my dd for christmas. She does this type of stuff for fun and occasionally sells it for some extra cash but she doesn't have a full blown business.

Anyway, I figured I would go with her and buy the fabric so I know I'm getting exactly what I want. And then I was thinking when she finished it I would pay her $30. Is that too much, too little, or sound ok?

I had been wanting the ring pattern but I know that would take more effort so I decided a simple block pattern quilt would be good.

So, does $30 plus fabric sound good? She would be allowed to keep any left over fabric for herself.

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this
How big is the quilt??
If its a small lap quilt, then sure, $30 sounds fine. But, if you want something bigger, to fit a twin bed or larger, I'd double your offer, at the very, very least. And when I think block quilt, that's it - no true pattern. No star shapes, just here's a bunch of blocks, maybe with alternating fabrics (checkerboard) to bring some detail to it.
Quilting itself is pretty crazy business - a dying art and a whole lot of work. If she accepts the $30, or even $60, I'd make her a plate of cookies and give her a Starbucks GC in a mug to show that I truly appreciated all the effort that went into it.
Don't forget you need need a filler (if you want one), tons of thread, needles, the backing, and possibly the binding, depending on the style of quilt. Also, is she cutting the blocks out of the fabric or are you buying something pre-cut??? That's a lot of work right there, too, if she has to cut the blocks.
Tough call. Go on etsy and look up items similar to what you want to get an idea of what you should pay her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melliburger
by Melli on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM

all of this :)

Quoting mybratsmom:

How big is the quilt??
If its a small lap quilt, then sure, $30 sounds fine. But, if you want something bigger, to fit a twin bed or larger, I'd double your offer, at the very, very least. And when I think block quilt, that's it - no true pattern. No star shapes, just here's a bunch of blocks, maybe with alternating fabrics (checkerboard) to bring some detail to it.
Quilting itself is pretty crazy business - a dying art and a whole lot of work. If she accepts the $30, or even $60, I'd make her a plate of cookies and give her a Starbucks GC in a mug to show that I truly appreciated all the effort that went into it.
Don't forget you need need a filler (if you want one), tons of thread, needles, the backing, and possibly the binding, depending on the style of quilt. Also, is she cutting the blocks out of the fabric or are you buying something pre-cut??? That's a lot of work right there, too, if she has to cut the blocks.
Tough call. Go on etsy and look up items similar to what you want to get an idea of what you should pay her.

abrine7673
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Quoting mybratsmom:

How big is the quilt??

Well its going to be a full size quilt. I plan to buy everything that will be needed for the quilt and she gets to keep any extra. the prices I have seen are anywhere from $60-100 for similar to what I want. Which is why I figured $30 but that is kind of on the low side. I know she would probably make the quilt for me for cost but I wanted to give her a little extra since quilting is a lot of work.
MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Talk to her!  tell her flat out that you want to pay her for her work and to give you a price she is comfortable with

abrine7673
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

Talk to her!  tell her flat out that you want to pay her for her work and to give you a price she is comfortable with

She would tell me to just buy the material and she would make it. I'm going to just hand her the money when she finishes the quilt.
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I think that's great you can find a hand-made quilt for $60 to $100! I'd really like to know those vendors because I can't find anything here for that amount, other than maybe a topper.
In the end, it's your decision what you pay her. As a crafter, I do know its really nice to know my work is valued and appreciated, so I'm always going to pay top dollar to anyone who I commission to do work for me.
Good luck with the quilt - that's exciting and fun to get exactly what you wanted made to your specifics rather than having to buy something at the store that doesn't fit you exactly.

Quoting abrine7673:

Quoting mybratsmom:

How big is the quilt??

Well its going to be a full size quilt. I plan to buy everything that will be needed for the quilt and she gets to keep any extra. the prices I have seen are anywhere from $60-100 for similar to what I want. Which is why I figured $30 but that is kind of on the low side. I know she would probably make the quilt for me for cost but I wanted to give her a little extra since quilting is a lot of work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abrine7673
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I've seen the more expensive quilts too, ranging up to $600!!! That's why I came on here, I don't want to accidentally insult her by giving her a pittance. I know she wont be expecting anything at all but I still don't want to make her think I don't appreciate her work. So would $50 be more reasonable?
Quoting mybratsmom:

I think that's great you can find a hand-made quilt for $60 to $100! I'd really like to know those vendors because I can't find anything here for that amount, other than maybe a topper.
In the end, it's your decision what you pay her. As a crafter, I do know its really nice to know my work is valued and appreciated, so I'm always going to pay top dollar to anyone who I commission to do work for me.
Good luck with the quilt - that's exciting and fun to get exactly what you wanted made to your specifics rather than having to buy something at the store that doesn't fit you exactly.

Quoting abrine7673:

Quoting mybratsmom:

How big is the quilt??

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM
I think $50 and a plate of cookies is good - I commissioned a girl to make me a craft fair apron, paid her price and gave her a pumpkin roll and a decorated $tree mug. I have found it helps me break in new friendships - and it really helps to keep your future deals with the crafter easy. I always add a card, "since you made me something, I made you something" - its just a cute thing I do, kind of my RAK/PIF deal.
Since you are breaking in with the block quilt, who knows, you may be able to have her do the ring quilt for you in the future.

Quoting abrine7673:

I've seen the more expensive quilts too, ranging up to $600!!!
That's why I came on here, I don't want to accidentally insult her by giving her a pittance. I know she wont be expecting anything at all but I still don't want to make her think I don't appreciate her work. So would $50 be more reasonable?

Quoting mybratsmom:

Quoting abrine7673:

Quoting mybratsmom:

How big is the quilt??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jryberg
by Jaime on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

if she offers to do it for just the materials then give her the cash you want and something personal. 

MrsSexyCurtains
by Jasmine on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Mobile Photo

I made this for a customer a few weeks ago and total cost was $110. She bought the fabric, batting, binding, backing and the long arming. I made $20 profit and it's a baby quilt.

I'd just tell her what you plan on paying her and then go from there. I made dd a twin size quilt that cost me about $130 to make not including time it took. I've had a ton of people ask me to make them quilts but when I give them prices they say never mind. One guy asked me to make a king size quilt for $100. I had to laugh because the long arming alone would've been around $100.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)