Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Balancing kids and a small craft business

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

Mobile Photo

How do balance life with kids and life with glue, beads,making products in general,pricing, advertising, selling etc?
I work 2 part time jobs, I work mostly at night and 1 day a week. When it's time to do my crafting it's usually 9 pm!
I could and sometimes do design jewelry when my 4 yr old is around but sometimes I get tired of setting her up with a project, making sure she doesn't mix up the beads etc.
Sometimes it is fun to make jewelry with her.
Do you bring the kiddos to your craft fair booth?
Do have a studio where you can lay out a project and if you get interrupted, you can shut the door? If do, you are lucky!
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

My son does come to craft shows with me, he loves it! :) I do have a studio, with a door, because my business is too large for me NOT to have a studio. I have a 6 foot by 4 foot shelf overflowing with fabric, two tables for cutting piles of packaging supplies...

If you don't want to work late at night, what if you get up one hour earlier in the mornings to have quiet crafty time? Or what if you got a baby sitter one day a week, or entrolled your four year old in a day of day care once a week so you could dedicate a set amount of time a week to your biz without feeling guilty for not spending time with her, and as a bonus, you WOULD have more time for her, because you would get a lot done in that one day. :)

melliburger
by Melli on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

For past craft shows, I go with my hubby and son. Hubby usually takes care of hobbit while I do the interacting with customers and selling things.

I have two businesses, one for jewelry and one for loom knitting. I'm also a full time college student. It's hard. You have to find what works for you and your family. And not force anything because then you get burnt out quickly.

jewelrymom700
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Mobile Photo

Thanks for the tip! I have a friend who opened an in home daycare. Maybe I can work something out with her. In the summer I have it easier because my MIL takes DD to her house for vacation.
But the winters are tough.
Feel free to post pics of projects u r working on too! I always love to see ur studio for storage area and fun projects. Here's one I'm working on now
Alwaysmotivated
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Very pretty jewelry.. :)

Quoting jewelrymom700:

Mobile Photo

Thanks for the tip! I have a friend who opened an in home daycare. Maybe I can work something out with her. In the summer I have it easier because my MIL takes DD to her house for vacation.
But the winters are tough.
Feel free to post pics of projects u r working on too! I always love to see ur studio for storage area and fun projects. Here's one I'm working on now

DawnPratt23
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I work from home digi designing at night and homeschool during the day. My biggest issue is my husband, he doesn't understand this is a job. Anytime I go out though I leave my youngest 3 with my husband, they wouldn't be still long enough for a craft show. 

jewelrymom700
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Yes I feel your pain dawn. Although my hubby is pretty cool about treating my small business as seriously as I want to it comes down to the fact that his time at work pays the bills better than mine.
It's a bitter pill to swallow.
My immediate family all think its a hobby and so if I need childcare when hubby is at work it better not be for beading.
I always think if I'd had more time to market myself I'll do better!
Anyone get the urge to sell your jeweley out of your trunk? Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)