Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

DDs purple minion hat/Halloween costume

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM
  • 8 Replies

Mobile Photo

I haven't been posting much on here, but I had to share this! I am loving it, lol.

I am considering doing a craft fair, tell me what you ladies think...it is a $40 fee, plus a donation of an item worth $20+. I sell my kids and baby hats for $20 each, adults are $25. But I don't have a ton made, most are made to order, I have around ten hats made and for sale and another twenty different pictures so I could show what I've done.

I think most people want to buy something and take it home, not wait for the order...but am I wrong? Do you think I would make at least enough to cover the fee (so sell two hats)? I know it all depends on how big the fair is and everything...I am just anxious to spend that much and end up not selling a thing!
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jryberg
by Jaime on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Craft fairs are hard, do they limit the number of people selling similar things? IF there are a bunch of people selling hats then you might have a harder time.  Personally when I shop at craft fairs I do like to take things home. SInce you make kids hats they are more likely to want to walk away with them that day and don't understand having to wait. 

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree, i would up your inventory but make sure customers know you can remake what you have and do custom orders.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM
They limit it to three per medium...so up to three crocheters would be there.

Maybe I will continue to build an inventory and go for it next year...maybe save some profit from random sales to use to pay the craft fair fees.

Quoting jryberg:

Craft fairs are hard, do they limit the number of people selling similar things? IF there are a bunch of people selling hats then you might have a harder time.  Personally when I shop at craft fairs I do like to take things home. SInce you make kids hats they are more likely to want to walk away with them that day and don't understand having to wait. 

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Having ready to made stuff is definitely more likely to sell than an order. Once you are established, though, if you have a professional looking lookbook with all your designs, prices, etc and then order forms people can fill out, that can work well too.

melliburger
by Melli on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:29 PM

The $40 is really not bad. Is it an all day event?

I would make more hats though. Or other small things, such as dish cloths, small ami figures and other things.

TJandKarasMom
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Quoting melliburger:

I would make more hats though. Or other small things, such as dish cloths, small ami figures and other things.

It's 9-3. I will see if I can get a bunch done this week and go from there. I may wait and do it next year and just keep making stuff until then.
melliburger
by Melli on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck! If you do go this year, share pics of your booth! :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting melliburger:

It's 9-3. I will see if I can get a bunch done this week and go from there. I may wait and do it next year and just keep making stuff until then.

DawnPratt23
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so cute, I haven't done any craft shows. I think you will do good. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)