Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

FIRST Craft Show Advice Needed :)

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 8 Replies

So a friend of mine and I are doing a craft show together.  I am definitely nervous about it!!

Here are some things we are selling:  Wrapped wreaths, ornaments, crocheted items, ruffle scarves, tutus, coasters, and a couple other things.

Do you have any tips on setting up?  Do you think a raffle/giveaway is a good idea?  They would have to visit the page, like it, and comment maybe to be entered.  Not sure how to go about that yet.  I was going to put a price tag on all items.  

A big question...  If they want to buy on the spot, then that item is now gone.  So another potential buyer will not know that item ever existed.  Should I have the items as display items only , and they will be made to order?  Or maybe pick up at the end of the show?  

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MommyOK
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM

How about take pictures of everything you make and make a catalog of products that you make for others to see and special order?

melliburger
by Melli on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

YOu can have a slide show playing that has pictures of all your work. If you have a tablet or a laptop you can have at the show anyway. Otherwise print out an album of your work so that people can thumb through it.

Set up the night before or a day before to make sure you have a plan in mind and you don't show up to the show with no idea of how to set up. Make sure to have displays and proper branding (your name on signs).

If you're taking credit cards using square or a paypal app, make sure to put that up somewhere too so that people can see that.

A raffle/giveaway might be too difficult to do, especially between the two of you if you make them go online to do things. DOing a simple raffle, they fill out a paper with basic info (address or phone number or emaila nd name) and they can enter their name into a box which you draw from later. Having their phone number or email and their name allows you to give the winner a heads up when they win. Just one idea though.

Good luck!

DawnPratt23
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Never done a craft show, the catelog idea sounds great. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silvia1011
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Thank you for the ideas ladies!!!   I do have an ipad I could take... but I think I might like the idea of an album maybe too.   You think it's ok or better to sell on the spot rather than just taking orders?

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I prefer to buy on the spot, so you should have 3-4 of every item. Good luck and have fun! Make sure you have cheerful business cards, and maybe a small thankyou gift reward for customers filling out a name/address/contact form for you.

jryberg
by Jaime on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM

At craft shows I think the bulk of purchases are on-the spot. Taking orders could make it difficult for you after the show if you get too busy and miss promised delivery dates you could loose potential repeat customers. 

Quoting Silvia1011:

Thank you for the ideas ladies!!!   I do have an ipad I could take... but I think I might like the idea of an album maybe too.   You think it's ok or better to sell on the spot rather than just taking orders?

Autumn19
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I do cash an carry but i keep a pic of everything i make on my fb page that way even if it does get sold they can see what i make. Ive learned that is best to stick to one main item intead of a bunch of different types of items. i can make almost anything, ive done painted jars, bow holders, crochet, tutus, ect but i went down to just crochet and sell so much more. as for the raffel at craft shows they usually have a basket that everyone donates to and then when someone buys from you they can enter into it.

Autumn19
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN