Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soutache

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM
  • 20 Replies

I'm working on teaching myself soutache , which is a very beautiful bead embroidery technique. But I hate having to find chord - none of the craft stores in my area seem to know what I'm talking about and the ones on Amazon stink. 

Any of you do soutache? 

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Wow!!! no i don't know anything about it... It's very beautiful!!!

I assume you've googled?

KickButtMama
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Yes, sadly the best sources are websites that are not in English! I'm hoping I can score on eBay when I have the time to search there. 

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

I assume you've googled?

AriannasMommy84
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM

If you have google chrome you should be able to translate....

Quoting KickButtMama:

Yes, sadly the best sources are websites that are not in English! I'm hoping I can score on eBay when I have the time to search there. 

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

I assume you've googled?

<3 Crystal <3
Wife to Clay(2008),
Mommy to Arianna(2003),
Fur baby fettuccine(2009),
Isabella(2009),
& Madelyn(2011)
American by birth, (Retired)USAF wife by the Grace of God

coast guardknittingteen girltoddler girlbaby girlcat

MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Umm i just looked it up and everything i found is in english.

Try this link

Soutache

KickButtMama
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM

This one doesn't carry the rayon or nylon cord, only ribbons and a single polyester blend cord. I've never seen or used actual ribbon to make soutache.  The English word Soutache can literally translate to "any type of embellishment or trim for fabric" whereas their is a French based word Soutache that is a style/type of bead embroidery. This makes things confusing..lol..This is the type of cord used for the embroidery -  

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

Try this link

Soutache

KickButtMama
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I have to see if I can steal the google chromebook away from DH, i do all my Internet work in my iPad ;( the word Soutache can mean any decorative trim....

Quoting AriannasMommy84:

If you have google chrome you should be able to translate....

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

I assume you've googled?

ZsMommy
by Heids on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM

JoAnn's carries the cord in their by the yard section (I used to work at one-I know what you're talking about)

KickButtMama
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Ours only has black, white and silver and the black is in a poly which frays a lot which is hard for a newbie like me ;(  I have to see if they maybe carry the rayon blends online maybe? But I do LOVE that I can get them by the yard since you go through a lot of the cord to make a single piece. 

Quoting ZsMommy:

JoAnn's carries the cord in their by the yard section (I used to work at one-I know what you're talking about)

ZsMommy
by Heids on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Have you looked in the BTY in the home dec area too (not just the fashion) ? Some people don't realize there's trims over there too.

You should be able to find it on JoAnn's website. If not-call the 1 800 # and talk to customer service-they'll do a product look up to verify what they carry.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Ours only has black, white and silver and the black is in a poly which frays a lot which is hard for a newbie like me ;(  I have to see if they maybe carry the rayon blends online maybe? But I do LOVE that I can get them by the yard since you go through a lot of the cord to make a single piece. 

Quoting ZsMommy:

MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

This one doesn't carry the rayon or nylon cord, only ribbons and a single polyester blend cord. I've never seen or used actual ribbon to make soutache.  The English word Soutache can literally translate to "any type of embellishment or trim for fabric" whereas their is a French based word Soutache that is a style/type of bead embroidery. This makes things confusing..lol..This is the type of cord used for the embroidery -  

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

Try this link

Soutache

My husband is French (born in France) and he says that the literal translation of Soutache is Under (sou) Stain (tache)  it's interesting. He's actually never heard of this type of crafting before. must be very specialized.

If you find a link that is in french.. and need it translated... let me know and I'll have Hubby look at it for you if you need.

Candice - Mom to  Miss K, Miss E, Mr. M! and PROUDLY introducing Little Miss C born May 7th 2013!! We are Canadian!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)