• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS's first sewing project...

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 23 Replies
2 moms liked this

To explain why I am so proud I need to explain that I have an 11 year old son with moderate/severe bordering on mild/moderate autistim (mild/moderate, or so the dr.'s tell me are always verbal or able to communicate effectively without pointing and grunting...and my son is nonverbal, he will be moved to the higher functioning mild/moderate level officially when he learns to communicate with his communications device effectively).

He has the gross motor skills of a 4-5 year old, the fine motor skills of a 2-3 year old, the academic skills of a 6 year old (he is just learning basic math and reading in 5th grade), and the emotional age of a 2-3 year old (based on his social and emotional behaviors)...

And today with just a little help he sewed and stuffed his first project...a mini pillow with fabric that he chose for himself...

Here's the smart aleck "sleeping against the Christmas tree with his new pillow!

Here's the stuffing process...no one is over the way he is looking, by the way he just won't look a camera in the "eye"...most of the time anyways...

I couldn't get any pics of the sewing process since it required both of my hands to help quide his hands for the project...but here is another of the finished project...

Here's one where I got him to look at me...yay! He is very proud of his living room nap pillow (he still, at 11, takes a nap everyday...)

(I cut and pinned his pillow, guided his hands, showed him how to flip it right side out and poke out the corners, showed him how to stuff it and then finished it around the edges and closed the opening since that can be much harder once it is stuffed...he did the start and stop button, turned it at the corners and did a decent job guiding it with minimal help, which was mostly to keep him from sewing his own finger to the project, flipped itright side out most of the way, poked out 3 corners after I showed him, stuffed it all but the first handful and fluffed it just the way he liked it).

jigsaw ribbonparty

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meggy88
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM
That's awesome! He did such a good job!
rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Thanks.

Quoting meggy88: That's awesome! He did such a good job!

lalasmama2007
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM

That's great!  I also wanted to thank you again for recommending the Sew Cool Sewing Machine a few weeks ago for my dd.  She got it for Christmas and she loves it!

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Awesome!!!! Love seeing young men learning to sew!

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM

That's fantastic. I wanted to get one for my ds so that he had his own projects to work on but couldn't afford it since he got a nabi jr as a combined christmas/birthday present.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

That's great!  I also wanted to thank you again for recommending the Sew Cool Sewing Machine a few weeks ago for my dd.  She got it for Christmas and she loves it!

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I think it is always a good idea for young men to learn at least the basic home tasks...sewing (basic repair work at the very least), cooking, cleaning and laundry for starters.

My younger ds helps cook and clean, folds laundry and is just learning to sew but he has been trying to help for a while now and my older son, who started learning the basic tasks has slowly added items to his repertoire since he was 7 (he is now 12) and can at least follow a simple recipe, do a number of straight line sewing projects (and is nearly ready to start learning to use patterns), can clean dishes and floors and knows how to wash and fold his own laundry (ironing is coming up next for him...but not for another year or two...he has enough on his plate for now). As a matter of fact my older ds is trying to get grandma to use him as a maid so that he can earn money for his own sewing machine...I think that I will go in with mom to make up the difference on a decent machine if she agrees to his offer.

I want them to be able to function on their own when they move out without calling me for every house task that needs to be done (dad is covering the home repair tasks since I won't deal with those or car tasks...I can I know how but I refuse to do them if there is a man who is at home). I don't want to get a phone call mom can I come over so you can sew on a button and then have half his wardrobe in my house for minor repairs that he knows how to do himself.

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Awesome!!!! Love seeing young men learning to sew!

DisabledVet
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Congratulations. I worked with kids who had DD and was very happy when anyone gained a skill.

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM

We are always very happy when he shows advancement...as a matter of fact we just finished some physical therapy that advanced his gross motor skills from the 2.5-3 year old range to the 4.5-5 year old range in 6 months and I couldn't be prouder of him this is why he got to do his first sewing project his gross and fine motor skills just weren't up to the minimum level that I would have felt comfortable with until now.

Quoting DisabledVet:

Congratulations. I worked with kids who had DD and was very happy when anyone gained a skill.

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM

He's very stoked about all the comments that he has been getting.

melliburger
by Melli on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

That is so awesome!!!! Great job to him :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)