Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone do sculpture?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:03 AM
  • 4 Replies

I have this need to get into sculpture.  I want to build a frame, make a shape out of chicken wire, fill it with news paper then  make the body appear.  Why?  I don't know.  But I need to build something.  Perhaps I watched too many old French movies. 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Gypsy60
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Havnt yet,but I too have a need to create. I want to make statues for my alter and also a big one for outside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:29 PM

oh- yes I used to sculpt. Before kids, I had a whole studio set up. It was marble and soapstone though. I was into realism, wildlife, etc. Totally loved it. I still have a few pieces. Some were really huge, most about 1-2 feet though. Bears, Eagles, Deer, and a big owl. I loved it, like therapeutic. Very messy though, lots of dust, we had a whole vacuum system set up...because of asbestos concerns...

Now, it's just for fun :) I did  a "Yoda" once for my son in 3rd grade. It was pretty cool and still on display there :)

My latest was an 8 foot "Sully" from monster's inc. Literally built the frame with 2x4's and chicken wire, covered with a blue fuzzy fabric, airbrushed painted dots and stomach face, etc. trimmed the fur where it needed to be trimmed- it was a blast. It was for my son's high school junior class float that was the monster's inc theme. The thing then hung around school for quite a while and it was a kick, even went to the Big game" football and was the central hit- photo op for everyone. It was fun :) He's now going ot a summer camp for kids.. If I find a pic I'll post it.

I know about stone scuplture, but not really the frame and chicken wire thing much. This was sort of trial and error but it worked out fine :) Good luck though, I bet there are great tutorials out there.

DawnPratt23
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:45 PM

When I was a kid we knew someone who would sculpture things but I haven't done anything since then. Have you tried the little clay molds sold at stores?

LilTymomma
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:55 PM

I think sculptures are pretty interesting but I don't think I would get into it just yet,...no time. But I too find myself in need of creating something pretty funny, others feel the same way but mine is more like modern home decor. Right now Im thinking of making heartshape wire wrap not completely with string, fabric or any other type of strands getting colors to  go with and stand out in our home. 

Good luck!!! Please share when you finish any projects you make. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)