Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ahhh, hot glue strings:/

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM
  • 15 Replies
Does anyone know if there is a cure for hot glue strings? I like using hot glue to experiment with different media combinations but the strings get everywhere. I stopped using hot glue last year for that reason but a variable temp quality esque glue gun is now in my possession. It has a precision tip which i love love love. But these damn strings are everywhere, including getting in my hair and on other projects. Ladies, please tell me there is some trick to getting rid of the glue strings.please please?
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelenia
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Bump
mrsniebo
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Bump. I have that issue too.
Rust.n.Gears
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh sweetie you just have to blast the piece with a hair dryer after you finish it up. It melts the glue away and it just disappears. I keep a dryer in my studio for this very reason. 

angelenia
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Rust, you made my day, doll! Bless you and thank you!
Presley77
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Thanks! I hate those things too!
aj23
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM
2 moms liked this

When you glue something at the end hold the gun about an half an inch to an inch away from your project for a few seconds and then pull it away. The glue cools off enough to harden a little and break of instead of making a long string. I've also had more of a problem with the strings when using the cool temp sticks and guns than the hotter temp ones.

blessed33
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Same here....I learned this past Fall about that trick! Lol  Couldn't believe I never thought of it! LOL  Happy Crafting! :)

happy valentine         holding balloons

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Oooh! Thanks for this post! I thought there was some trick to using the gun so that i didnt get strings that i just didnt know. I have very little experience with hot glue guns!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilMsSecret
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Put the glue sticks in the freezer for at least 20 min, works great! I keep a little Tupperware in my freezer full of glue sticks!

DawnPratt23
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Thanks, I don't use it often but when I do, it gets everywhere.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Oh sweetie you just have to blast the piece with a hair dryer after you finish it up. It melts the glue away and it just disappears. I keep a dryer in my studio for this very reason. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)