Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

New New New! =)

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM
  • 13 Replies
2 moms liked this

Hello All! I'm Heather - 27 years old - single mom to an almost 9 year old lovely (sarcastic) daughter!

I want to start making my own jewelry. I'm very into steampunk and nautical "accesories", I love owls and old clocks!

I have a few pictures I can post of what I'm talking about. I just am not sure where to start looking for these charms, and materials at!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! =) =)

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Melli on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Welcome to the group! I'm sure if you googled you'd find out how to make those.

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome. You might find those types of pendants and supplies at somewhere like Hobby Lobby, Joann's, or Michael's or at many online retailers.

MamatoKy
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:23 AM
Lol I have. And surprisingly im either googling the wrong thing or not looking hard enough. Im going to try again later today.

Quoting melliburger:

Welcome to the group! I'm sure if you googled you'd find out how to make those.

OnyxStarlight
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:43 AM
Try aliexpress.com and ebay for the charms. You'll find good ones there. You can find suitable ropes in the ribbons, beading wire, and leather sections of Hobby Lobby and probably Michael's too. I don't shop at Michael's often enough to know what they have in these sections.
MamatoKy
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Sweet! I'll try Michaels and Joanns sometime this week.

Is Hobby Lobby a store? Or is it online?

Quoting OnyxStarlight: Try aliexpress.com and ebay for the charms. You'll find good ones there. You can find suitable ropes in the ribbons, beading wire, and leather sections of Hobby Lobby and probably Michael's too. I don't shop at Michael's often enough to know what they have in these sections.

CafeMom Tickers
OnyxStarlight
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Hobby Lobby is a store, but you can also order from them online here.

Quoting MamatoKy:

Sweet! I'll try Michaels and Joanns sometime this week.

Is Hobby Lobby a store? Or is it online?

Quoting OnyxStarlight: Try aliexpress.com and ebay for the charms. You'll find good ones there. You can find suitable ropes in the ribbons, beading wire, and leather sections of Hobby Lobby and probably Michael's too. I don't shop at Michael's often enough to know what they have in these sections.

Sarahb21
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Try to find a bead store in your area. All of the bead stores in my area have large selections of charms like that. You buy them individually.

As far as the clasps for the leather and holding it all together in the end, you need a crimp clasps.  like THESE, based on the size of your leather or cording and how many strands. Something like THESE, give or take a few mms. If you try to use too small of crimps, you'll end up with your bracelet bunching up and that's not pretty looking.

You can use cotton cord or leather. Playing with different types of cording is always fun. You can buy that at Michaels, Joann or online.

Here is a link of Steampunk type charms on etsy.

Sarahb21
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Oh and we LOVE buying our beads and stuff from fire mountain gems. You can dig through online and request their catalogs to come to your house. They have tons of awesome stuff. You'll find everything I posted through them. But definitely price compare. Sometimes you can get great deals through them, sometimes you'll find it cheaper elsewhere. http://www.firemountaingems.com/

TheJerseyGirl
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 6:35 AM

I love those and my daughter has most of them!

There are so many supplies online so much cheaper than the stores here. I'd check there first!

frolova_nastja
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:35 AM
Hi! these bracelets are very nice) i live in Russia and moms, who make the same things, buy accessories for them at aliexpress or taobao)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)