Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Super easy cheap decorative solar lights

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:00 AM
  • 21 Replies
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I got solar stake lights from the Dollar Tree and Parmesan cheese shakers. I took the light tops off the stakes and took the metal shaker tops off the jars. Then I put the lights in the jars. Soon I will place them on my front deck! Pics of that when it isn't raining! Cost me $16 for 8 lights and 8 shaker jars. I kept the shaker tops and light stakes in case I decide to dismantle them at some point. You can also use mason jars or vases from dollar stores or anywhere! More pics in comments!
ETA: thanks to Chandra314's idea I am going to place clear fish bowl pebbles underneath the lights to lift them a little!
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chandra314
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Cool idea--waiting for pics :)
Presley77
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:02 AM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

More pics
Chandra314
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:06 AM
Those are very pretty. Good idea, OP.

Do you think you'll put anything on top of them?
Presley77
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:09 AM
I have been thinking about that. Probably not on top because that's how they get solar power. But I'm wondering what I can place underneath the light, at the bottom of the jar, that is clear- so as to lift them a tad. Does that make sense?

Quoting Chandra314: Those are very pretty. Good idea, OP.

Chandra314
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:12 AM
Makes sense.
Maybe some clear/crystal-looking marbles. They might add some additional light and would look pretty classy, while raising the light...?

Quoting Presley77: I have been thinking about that. Probably not on top because that's how they get solar power. But I'm wondering what I can place underneath the light, at the bottom of the jar, that is clear- so as to lift them a tad. Does that make sense?

Presley77
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:14 AM
You are brilliant!!!! Thank you so much! That's a great idea and I can get clear fish bowl pebbles at Dollar Tree! I have been pondering this all day and I can't believe that didn't occur to me! I was hoping one of you creative ladies would have an answer!

Quoting Chandra314: Makes sense.
Maybe some clear/crystal-looking marbles. They might add some additional light and would look pretty classy, while raising the light...?

Quoting Presley77: I have been thinking about that. Probably not on top because that's how they get solar power. But I'm wondering what I can place underneath the light, at the bottom of the jar, that is clear- so as to lift them a tad. Does that make sense?

Chandra314
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:17 AM
We'll, I'm glad I helped!
I'm excited to head to the $1 store tomorrow--I really love this idea :)

Quoting Presley77: You are brilliant!!!! Thank you so much! That's a great idea and I can get clear fish bowl pebbles at Dollar Tree! I have been pondering this all day and I can't believe that didn't occur to me! I was hoping one of you creative ladies would have an answer!

Presley77
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:19 AM
Take a pic and post it here please I would love to see yours! They have some great glass pieces that would fit the lights. I had to choose what was good for a toddler and four dogs. The shaker jars won't break the way some of the nicer vases would. You can even hot glue them into the glass if they fit tight!

Quoting Chandra314: We'll, I'm glad I helped!

Quoting Presley77: You are brilliant!!!! Thank you so much! That's a great idea and I can get clear fish bowl pebbles at Dollar Tree! I have been pondering this all day and I can't believe that didn't occur to me! I was hoping one of you creative ladies would have an answer!

Chandra314
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:23 AM
Oh, I will!
I'm wondering how the marbles will change the refraction of light emitted from the bottom--could look lovely...or not.
I hope they turn out nice. I have some trees with bushes surrounding them that I've wanted to highlight and I think this is JUST the thing I've been looking for :)

Quoting Presley77: Take a pic and post it here please I would love to see yours! They have some great glass pieces that would fit the lights. I had to choose what was good for a toddler and four dogs. The shaker jars won't break the way some of the nicer vases would. You can even hot glue them into the glass if they fit tight!

Presley77
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:25 AM
I think it will refract nicely. I'm wondering if it will combine the straight lines as well as whatever comes thru the pebbles?

Quoting Chandra314: Oh, I will!
I'm wondering how the marbles will change the refraction of light emitted from the bottom--could look lovely...or not.
I hope they turn out nice. I have some trees with bushes surrounding them that I've wanted to highlight and I think this is JUST the thing I've been looking for :)

Quoting Presley77: Take a pic and post it here please I would love to see yours! They have some great glass pieces that would fit the lights. I had to choose what was good for a toddler and four dogs. The shaker jars won't break the way some of the nicer vases would. You can even hot glue them into the glass if they fit tight!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN