Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Quilting

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM
  • 8 Replies
I desperately want to hand quilt a quilt with a sun and the lyrics "you are my sunshine" on it for my son BUT do not have a clue how. I have tried to find a blog for guidance but they all seem too advanced. Am I being silly in starting to quilt with such a large project? If not, where can I find simple information for beginners?
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a firm believer in a written, in my face, book. With pages I can turn, and refer back to. I'd suggest a basic learn to quilt book from your library or Amazon. Your project is definitely doable for a beginner. I'd suggest a simple 9-patch, in 3 or 9 fabrics, using 5 -7" squares, and an appliqué sun. You could appliqué, fabric paint or use cut out letters to iron on your phrase. How would you eat an elephant? One bite, or in this case, one square, at a time. Happy Sewing!

Kayy543
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM
Thank you for the support! I hadn't thought of it that way. Maybe we'll take a trip to the library tomorrow.
Kayy543
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Do you think it can all be done without the use of a sewing machine? I got rid of mine when I couldn't really find use for it.
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Absolutely, many quilters never use a sewing machine! The Amish are known to be skilled quilters. They make large quilts all by hand, and quilt the 'sandwich' on a large frame. Now for reference only, I was taught by my Gram that they put 12 tiny stitches in every inch of fabric. I'm lucky if I get 3 stitches per inch. The key is keeping your work as even as possible. 1st you cut your fabric into squares, then sew your squares into rows, then the rows to each other, (I'd use a 1/2 inch seam allowance), until your quilt top is as large as you want it. Then cut a backing fabric and batting fabric, (I like low loft poly cotton blend batt, you can even use flannel), the same size as your top. Use safety pins to pin all the layers together, and quilt, sew in pattern, until all 3 layers are secured. Cut or buy binding strips, trim your sandwich, bind it then, voila'! Instead of quilting, quilts can be tied off with embroidery floss, too. If you enjoy quilting, I'd really suggest a rotary cutter and cutting mat. It makes quilting much easier. Have fun!

Rust.n.Gears
by Group Admin on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Suetoo has great information. A first quilt is as simple or complicated as you want it to be. My first one was just two panels and a border and then we stretched it and I stitched around the designs for the quilted look. I was five so that was a very nice beginner quilt.

Looking for websites can be tricky since the popular ones probably appear in your web search first. When I began getting into my more recent crafts including quilting I turned to pinterest to find sites to give me ideas. You can put in a search for "beginner quilting" and the photos will lead you to sites to help you.

We would all love to see your quilt when you are done as well. I know you will do a great job.

Kayy543
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Thank you both. Your words of advice and encouragement mean a lot to me. I'll absolutely post pictures when it is finished. If I have questions along the way I hope you won't mind helping me again, you ladies have been way more than I expected!
perfect01
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:51 PM

You can also do what us called a whole cloth quilt.  It is a single piece of fabric for the top and another for the back, with a quilt batting in between.  You could draw on the sun design with a water solvable marking pen and also write your words on the front.  You then baste it either with thread or pins and quilt with what is called a running stitch.  I use Sharon Schambers quilting without a hoop method of basting and hand quilting.  Check out her site for a free video on how to do this. My out can also find it on YouTube.  I'll see if I can find the picture of the one I made for our little one.

perfect01
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Found it.  I had a template for the center heart and the border, but used cut out of paper hearts to mark the individual hearts and used a yard stick to make the diagonal lines.  This quilt is crib size (36 x 45).  This was my 2nd hand quilted project.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN