Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

ideas for a delayed child

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:54 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

My sister is concerned about her son being delayed.  I want to figure out something fun that he can do to help him with some of his issues.  He is 3 and he doesn't know any of his colors and he has speech delays.  She didn't tell me a whole lot else about his delays except he has a really hard time with comprehending instructions.  Any ideas?  I was thinking about color sorting games or something like that to help him learn his colors but I don't really have any ideas of what/

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
copper
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you sew?  If so you could make him a fabric book that has each color of object on it's own pages? Or you could cut 4 squares of each  color of construction paper and keep one of each in your hand and lay the others out in mixed color rows and one by one ask him to find the squares that are the color of the one in your hand one at a time.

SissyMacK
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM

What about laminated "flashcards" with photographs of family members and favorite cartoon characters.  They could be used to help encourage him to dialogue about people and things that interest him.  You could then work on his instruction issues by asking him to hand you specific cards (ie: all the boys or everyone who lives in your house). 

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:00 PM
We did quiet books and "I spy" bags.

Quiet books can include felt pieces for counting (have the numbers and the amounts), colors (orange = carrots, red = apples, etc), letters (a = apple, b= bird, etc), and the bags contain similar items: find two red things, etc.
littlecheifsmom
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Easter egg match up game.
Empty an egg carton color ( I painted) the colors I.was going to use to.match the egg. & he can match them up that way. Make flash card questions ie: what color is the duck? ( find yellow) I also put a picture of a duck on the card.
That way. hes learning colors & animals.

Pipe cleaners & beads for counting, fine motor skill & color recognition.
On pintrest look up toddler crafts. There's tons of ideas.

Water color painting pictures, qtip pain tracing
mariesmama
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:54 PM

have ther be No background noise when she tells him stuff

and get him evaluated while he's still young enought to qualify for early intervention

emersonsmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:55 PM

She has had him evaluated. Part of the problem is that where they are the services are not that great.

Quoting mariesmama:

and get him evaluated while he's still young enought to qualify for early intervention

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Quoting emersonsmommy:

She has had him evaluated. Part of the problem is that where they are the services are not that great.

Quoting mariesmama:

does he qualify for speech therapy? stringing beads on a shoelace,if he dont eat them can help with fine motor coordination .my 4 yr old got her diagnosis of spd confirmed by a developmental pediatrician today

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Quoting emersonsmommy:

Quoting mariesmama:

is there a preschool program where he can get speech therapy thru them?

emersonsmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:03 PM

He has been going to speech therapy for a little while.  He just got evaluated for the preschool program, but it is only part days and not everyday.  She doesn't work in the same district as the program and the kids daycare is not in the district so it will be difficult to get him to and from.  She is going to contact head start to see if he will qualify for their program because they allow you to put your child in a classroom in a different district than where you live so he would be able to go to a program near her work or the daycare.

Quoting mariesmama:

Quoting emersonsmommy:

Quoting mariesmama:

is there a preschool program where he can get speech therapy thru them?

Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:07 PM
String large colorful beads on a string/piece of yarn of the same color.
My son's having a meltdown I can't think right now. Sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)