Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Epic fail

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • 8 Replies

Okay so I decided that I wanted to get back into corcheting since I have not done it since I was about 13 years old. I started a washcloth last night thinking that it would be an easy project to try. Wrong. I could not get my holdings right on the yarn and the stitches were not even and it started looking all lopsided.

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mama_girl07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Just keep practicing. it takes awhile to get your tension and stitches to look uniform

850Amber
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Just keep trying! 

melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:16 PM

aw :(

jakana2369
by Wendi on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Keep going it will come back soon.

may8675309
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Did you start with a single stitch? That is easiest. It will all come to you. Don't get discouraged. It may take several sessions trying the same stitch before you feel like it's right. But you'll get there ;)

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Practice makes perfect =)

Memere60
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Man, I am so frustrated! I replied to you, and then lost it before I could hit 'add reply'! Here goes: if your work looks lopsided it is usually because your ends aren't done correctly. Make sure you pull that last stitch through from the end of your row, or it will start to curve in on your next row. When I start a new row, I do a few stitches and then look at my project. You can usually tell right away if you have made a mistake. Also, try not to hold your yarn too tightly. The stitches will be more uniform if you try to hold it in a more relaxed way. And last but not least, the chain stitches you do to start your project need to be as uniform as possible. When I first started to crochet, I found that the chain to start my project, and the very first row, were the hardest parts. They have some tutorials online that might be helpful. Oh, and use an 'N' hook to get started. It makes nice big stitches. That way, if your tension is too tight, your stitches should still be fairly easy to work with. By the way, I am not an expert. I can't even read a pattern, but I have made a gazillion baby blankets, regular blankets, and scarves. I give them as gifts. The person will tell me their favorite color or colors, and I buy the softest and prettiest yarn I can find. That way, I don't buy a color he/she hates, only to have it end up in their closet for years. My last two projects were scarves for a whole family in their favorite colors, and an infinity scarf for my daughter and my one year old grandchild. My daughter picked out the yard, and they were wearing the scarves just the other day. Good luck!

Memere60
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Meant to say, my daughter picked out the yarn.......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)