Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

New project - succulent picture frame.

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Here is a link to the new project I am starting - planting a small picture frame with succulents.  You can hang them outside, or put flat on a table.  Note - this is from the site, I am just starting mine!

Photo updates in thread

http://refreshingthehome.com/unique-living

A few years ago I made a similar project by planting a moss wreath with succulents.  It lived on our shed wall for the summer and was so much fun.  You start with small cuttings, and let them root in the frame or wreath.  After a few weeks they start to grow and spread.

I keep a collection of succulent plants on my porch, just to make projects or small terrariums with.

by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:41 AM
I love those! We're redoing our patio and I'm making some posts to stick in the ground that will have birdhouses on them, this could be fun to put on the two that won't have birdhouses. There'll be a small area I'm not paving. I could make a little "room" outside. Where works you get succulent starts?
MonarchMom22
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM

You can buy very small succulents of different varities at the Home Depot or Lowes.  They run about $2 or $3 each, but once you have them, you can propogate by breaking off the "leaves", letting them dry out a day or two, and putting into cactus mix.  Or just mix builders sand and potting soil.

I've collected them over the years from friends, plants I buy, or traded with other gardeners.  I keep small pots of them on my porch to keep using for new projects.  Most will keep growing for years.

If you have some friends to do this with, you can chip in and get a bunch of varieties to start with.

northernmommy
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Cool!

mrsniebo
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Neat! I love seeing how succulents can be used for decorating. I started a succulent terrarium in an old coffee caraffe this Spring and am liking how it turned out.
MonarchMom22
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM

yes - they are great.  best part is you can leave them a month of more without watering and they are fine!

I did some terrariums in various clear glass jars and dishes one year.  They were fun, but the plants got too big after a while.  I took them apart, and started all new plants form the leaves.  They just get recycled every year.

tramcd
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 3:20 PM

That looks so neat!

shell3m
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Cute! :)
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:08 AM
I love succulents!!! Post a picture when you are done with your frame, I'd love to see what you do!
Memere60
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I got a succulent in a teacup. It is very cute, it seems to be shrinking. I have been watering it, but am I giving it too much water? Should I take it out of the teacup and put it in the ground, like a plant in my garden? I do not understand this plant at all!!!

MonarchMom22
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 3:34 PM

They need very little water.  They need to dry out, and even shrivel a bit, befor you water them.  Sone can live outside, depends on your winters.  My hen and chicks live outside and look a bit ragged in winter, the. Come back in the spring.

It is also normal for them to lose lower leaves and keep growing upward.  if they get too leggy, you can clip off the top, let it dry out a few days, then bury the stem and it will start over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN