Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Home made ring sling??

Posted by on May. 30, 2014 at 5:15 PM
  • 5 Replies

I was wondering if there are patterns you can buy or how to make your own. I am on a breastfeeding group on FB and a mom asked about this and then I thought why not I make one too since I'm due in Aug again and I am going to strickly breastfeed. So anyone know where to find the patterns? The lady is 2x and I'm a 3-4x depending so how many yards of fabric would be needed? 

by on May. 30, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
PandTsmomjuly
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I didn't use a pattern when I made on. I repurposed a bed sheet for it. You need a special ring that won't bend or break. Well, 2 of them. Cut the sheet in half and hem the cut edge. Pleat one end of the sheet and feed through both rings.  Sew the folded over and pleated end with a zig zag stitch. This IS bulky and thick and will require a heavy duty needle and the right tension (I broke 3 needles making mine -_- ) 

That's really all there is to it.

This one has no sewing needed. You might find this one useful too :)

melliburger
by Melli on May. 31, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Good luck! I have no idea though :)

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 4:30 PM

i dont know but if you make 1 that works please share my hubby wants to wear our next kid

GoldenLinds
by Lindsay on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:40 AM
I have made several. You want a good material and a nice ring. You can easily find a sling ring online. I believe the company is just slingrings.com but I could be wrong. Very affordable. You need tomake sure you reinforce all of your stitches. I always do the box with the x inside to reinforce the corners of my stitch. I also prefer using linen because its a natural fabric and super durable. Wont sag or wear out. As for length you need probably less than you think. You need enough to wrap around your torso fairly snug plus however much extra you want your tail. I generally just add a length from my shoulder to my hip. That gives me enoughwithout being too long.
SissyMacK
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I used a pattern from Elizabeth Lee years ago to make my sling for the older kids.  The company is no longer in business, but you could probably find one on ebay.  It was a great sling and had padded sides and shoulders. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)