Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

I don't know what to think of Astrid.

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:46 AM
  • 7 Replies

I sell my work in a few different shops and I'm always looking for new display ideas. Well I've decided I want to go with a yarn theme since I crochet. I've found a good deal of table top pieces and yarn bombed them. Most have turned out pretty cool. Well I have this floral stand I picked up from A.c. Moore (pictured below) and decided I wanted to attempt to 'improve' upon it. For 2 reasons....one to show off my talent the other to make my display more interesting. Astrid certainly is interesting, but I'm not sure she is a good representation of my skill level. I admit she was somewhat rushed, her hair still needs to be styled and cut properly,  I used a larger stitch than I should have for a doll, and she is a bit lopsided. I can fix the lopsided thing a bit with some 'fluffing'....but I'm debating taking her apart and giving her another shot. She is functional. I took a hat stand and transformed it into a hat, hair piece, dress/shirt, bootie, and mitten stand. So it's an improvement. I debated just making her a head and legs so it was clear she was a display, but then I'd loose some much needed display space.

Anyway, I'd love some crafter input before I deybut her (and move on to her brother Asher). Should I take her apart and give her another shot (by apart I mean body and legs. The head will stay. The face can be changed) or would she look nice enough if I  just fluff her and detail her hair? Keep in mind she will most often look as shown in the last picture.....in full dress (including shoes/booties that I have yet to make). Thanks in advance.

Naked Astrid

Side few, the white yarn is temporary. I haven't decided on a hair style yet.

In an infant dress

In an infant dress and child sunhat (the wire needs to be smoothed out I know. DD was playing with it earlier and krimped it  *sigh*)

by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Gypsy60
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Can't help you as I couldn't get the pic's to load.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:51 AM
No pictures.
Miranda1127
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

How about now?

PandTsmomjuly
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I'm not sure what it is, lol. Is it a display? Something for kids to play with? 

Miranda1127
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM
A display. I do dolls as well but they are time consuming so I don't gave to many in the store. I figured a doll display that will always be at the store will work to my advantage as far as orders go. Plus it can display other pieces as well.

Quoting PandTsmomjuly:

I'm not sure what it is, lol. Is it a display? Something for kids to play with? 

DaiTilley
by Dai on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:29 PM
My concern would be that people would think they were buying a doll and a dress, versus just what she's wearing. It's cute, but may distract from the actual item for sale!
Miranda1127
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM
Yeah.. I can see that. What if I secured the display to the shelving? Everything that is for sale is individually priced with discription, but to be clearer I could fasten the 'doll' down so it can not be removed.

Quoting DaiTilley: My concern would be that people would think they were buying a doll and a dress, versus just what she's wearing. It's cute, but may distract from the actual item for sale!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)