• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Didn't think that possible -_-

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:39 PM
  • 23 Replies

I have actually been crocheting so much that I have a knot and sore muscle on the top of my forearm :(

Have any of you needle workers had something like this? I've been putting a heating pad on it but it's not helping and crocheting is getting difficult.

HELP!

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:50 PM
You have to take breaks, stretch, massage, and stretch. Heating pads only help a little bit. Stretch, massage, and take breaks.

Rust.n.Gears
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM
The muscle is inflamed. Ibuprofen can help. This is why I learned to crochet with both hands. Also you must rest the muscles so doing another craft helps. Knitting works different muscles. So does loom knitting.
GoldenLinds
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Oh yes!! I feel it tightly n up and I get kinda teary. Its such a small muscle but it gets overworked with all the twisting you do. When you twist from your elbow. Id get a bandage an put it on while you work for a little conpression. It will help minimize any swelling. Also be sure to stretch it out often. Its sooo hard to stretch. I'll try to find a good link for you.
GoldenLinds
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:56 PM
http://www.shelterpub.com/_fitness/_office_fitness_clinic/hwf.pdf

Here you go. Its a great pdf file for all the good stretches.
PandTsmomjuly
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I've been stretching it and massaging it. It's been 2 days that I can't crochet cause it hurts :(

I noticed it after working on a snood made with crochet thread.

I thought I was doing something wrong because it hurt :P

Quoting GoldenLinds: Oh yes!! I feel it tightly n up and I get kinda teary. Its such a small muscle but it gets overworked with all the twisting you do. When you twist from your elbow. Id get a bandage an put it on while you work for a little conpression. It will help minimize any swelling. Also be sure to stretch it out often. Its sooo hard to stretch. I'll try to find a good link for you.

PandTsmomjuly
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I'm just taking a break for now while I wait for the pain to go away.

I take ibuprofen daily for other issues so that won't help, lol.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears: The muscle is inflamed. Ibuprofen can help. This is why I learned to crochet with both hands. Also you must rest the muscles so doing another craft helps. Knitting works different muscles. So does loom knitting.

PandTsmomjuly
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:00 PM

I am. I havent't done anything since finishing the commission that caused it. I'm doing 15 min heating pad with a massage and stretching after. I must have done a serious number on it because this is day 2 of it :(

Quoting mybratsmom: You have to take breaks, stretch, massage, and stretch. Heating pads only help a little bit. Stretch, massage, and take breaks.

GoldenLinds
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Oh yeah that will do it! It might be a day or two still before you can use it but it after a few days of building back up it should be good for a while. If you start getting really sharp shooting pains or radiating pain then you might want to have it checked to make sure you haven't managed to minorly sprain it. Yes that is totally possible and it sucks!!

Quoting PandTsmomjuly:

I've been stretching it and massaging it. It's been 2 days that I can't crochet cause it hurts :(

I noticed it after working on a snood made with crochet thread.

I thought I was doing something wrong because it hurt :P

Quoting GoldenLinds: Oh yes!! I feel it tightly n up and I get kinda teary. Its such a small muscle but it gets overworked with all the twisting you do. When you twist from your elbow. Id get a bandage an put it on while you work for a little conpression. It will help minimize any swelling. Also be sure to stretch it out often. Its sooo hard to stretch. I'll try to find a good link for you.

GoldenLinds
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM
Oh and personally id use something topical for the painn arnica cream or tiger balm or something like that. And when you massage make sure you always finish with a firm downward stroke toward you fingers.
whitleypittman
by whitley on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Wow! I know it's possible to get carparal tunnel from too much repetative motion of the wrists (dad had it in both wrists) but I never knew you could form a knot on top of the forearm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)