Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Gift Basket for Exchange Student

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:26 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm not sure if this counts as a "craft" but I'm putting together a welcome gift basket for an exchange student that will be arriving from Denmark in a little over a week from now.

I thought about candies unique to America (though I'm not sure which ones??), a couple towels/washcloths of her own, a bracelet I bought her that has the colors to our favorite college football team (she'll be going to games with us!).

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Or any suggestions in general on something to do with/for her?? Thank you!

by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AriannasMommy84
by Crystal on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM
For the candies: baby Ruth, bit o'honey, zero(if you can find them).

Not sure what else you could put in there.
melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:44 AM

That sounds like a fun idea :) After she settles in a bit you could take her around your town and show her around, get her comfortable with the area.

eLLasmama142
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:43 AM

What a fantastic idea! I love making baskets.

You already have great ideas. You could add some hard candys that are individually wrapped, such as Peppermints or butterscotch.

Is there anything that she may need that is specific to your area that she may not have been able to travel with; such as sun block or chap stick?

PandTsmomjuly
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:21 AM

Maybe some shower gel and shampoo/conditioner? Or other things that are restricted from taking on a plane.

Something made specifically in your area or is a tourist item. A t-shirt/sweatshirt that says "I went to "place" and all I got was this shirt" (or something similar, lol.)

Are we taking HS exchange or college exchange?

mommychelle01
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I do know that Denamark's high in the summer is like 69. We get into the 90s and it's crazy humid here. Chapstick is probably a good idea. We have lots of sunblock here already, so I'll be sure to remind her about that!

Quoting eLLasmama142:

What a fantastic idea! I love making baskets.

You already have great ideas. You could add some hard candys that are individually wrapped, such as Peppermints or butterscotch.

Is there anything that she may need that is specific to your area that she may not have been able to travel with; such as sun block or chap stick?

Stillvnu
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:18 AM

We hosted exchange students for several years ... mostly from Japan and Taiwan but a couple from France and Italy ... the Asian girls were quiet, grateful and shy ... they would hardly ask for anything even if  I said if you need anything let me know!  The others were pretty comfortable with American lifestyles.  They liked journals to write in, stickers/postcards, ours always had a translation dictionary which made things easier. Maybe a reusable water glass thing that people take with them everywhere.  Have fun they are a blast!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN