Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spinners!!!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
I wanna learn how to spin yarn. Like, RIGHT NOW! BUT I don't have room for a massive spinning wheel. Is there any other techniques I could employ that don't involve a wheel?
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
24clark
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM

OMGosh, I really want to know the answer to this. I don't knit or crochet but you have me wondering now! What do you use to make the yarn? The material I mean. lol

Skinny yarn? 

sidesplittinglaughter I crack myself up! ;-)

whitleypittman
by whitley on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM
Lmao! I know the "roving" is different types of wool, wool blends, cotton. Really any kind of fiber can be spun. I've even heard of a woman who shaved her head and spun her hair into yarn!
I just need to know the basics. Otherwise I'll spend my knitting circle time learning to spin!

Quoting 24clark:

OMGosh, I really want to know the answer to this. I don't knit or crochet but you have me wondering now! What do you use to make the yarn? The material I mean. lol

Skinny yarn? 

whitleypittman
by whitley on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Bump. 😞
AriannasMommy84
by Crystal on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
No clue, but I'm interested to know the answer as well
CaliMamma1013
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM
There's drop spindles.
24clark
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Hair!? lol Now that gives me ideas! Not GOOD ideas, but ideas! ;-)

Quoting whitleypittman: Lmao! I know the "roving" is different types of wool, wool blends, cotton. Really any kind of fiber can be spun. I've even heard of a woman who shaved her head and spun her hair into yarn! I just need to know the basics. Otherwise I'll spend my knitting circle time learning to spin!
Quoting 24clark:

Skinny yarn? 

melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:06 AM

I have a drop spindle, but haven't learned how to use it yet

whitleypittman
by whitley on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I did find a step by step tutorial for hand spinning using a spindle. Might have to try it.

Quoting CaliMamma1013: There's drop spindles.
mama_girl07
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I think Rust.n.Gears spins yarn if Im remembering correctly

Rust.n.Gears
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I started with a basic drop spindle from http://www.yarn.com/. I did very well with it and then got my wheel. You should start with a drop spindle because you can go slow and have complete control. A spinning wheel goes 200 times faster than a perfectly spun spindle. I later moved up to a Golding drop spindle which I wish I had bought first. Its guaranteed to spin perfectly every single time. Golding has their own beginning spinning kit which is so worth the cost. The book is perfect and the fiber is good to start with.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)