Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

QOTD 8/4

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:24 AM
  • 13 Replies

What's the longest your power has been out? What did you do?

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PandTsmomjuly
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:21 AM

I don't think I've ever lost power for more than a few hours, thankfully.

anng.atlanta
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:53 AM

I remember losing power during an ice storm. Not sure how long, but it lasted thru the night. It was my parents, two brothers, one girlfriend, and me at home.

We had a kerosene heater to stay warm. Most of us ended sleeping in sleeping bags.

DanaG70
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:55 AM

3 days! We spent a lot of time outside and cooked on a camp stove. We also charged our phones in the car.

Rust.n.Gears
by Group Admin on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM
9 days in the cold. We lived in the kitchen staying warm by boiling water and hanging sheets to block the doors. Thank god for a gas stove and a lighter. Plus we had a generator to run the laptop for movies. Never again. I will run from now on.
4evrinbluejeans
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM

we lost power for 7 days one winter.  We ended up staying with my parents (who were also without power) during that time.  We had one generator that we would hook up for a couple hours each day at both houses in order to cool down the refrigerator/freezers and to recharge phones.  

We hung out a lot, read a lot of books, watched movies on our laptop and knitted.  

my4kidsrock2
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:29 PM

In this house our power has never gone out for more than a few seconds. Even when the transformer in front of our house blew and our neighbor had no power we still had power. Apparently he is on a different grid than us.

The longest our power has ever been out was a couple of hours so we've been lucky. It seems that there are several storms a year that will knock out power to thousands in our area for up to a week at a time. My mil was recently without power for 5 days and ended up storing her food at our place while she stayed in a hotel.

SissyMacK
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Several years ago while we were living in NC, we had our power out for 9 days.  It was due to a winter storm, but since we were prepared it wasn't a big deal.  We kept the house warm with a kerosene heater (which we also cooked on) and snuggled under piles of military issue blankets with a huge stack of books. 

whitleypittman
by whitley on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM
24 hours on a camping trip.
mrsniebo
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:03 PM

6 days in an ice storm. I was 10, so I got to hang out with the kids in the neighborhood part of the time. We went to my grandparents for a day or two, since they lived in town and got their power back before we did.

lovengrace
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:27 PM

hmmm, well the last black out was due to a storm, luckily it went out at nignt right before nightfall so what else to do than turn in for the night early, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN