Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Raising athletes from the crib(article)

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:29 PM
  • 10 Replies

New videos are aimed at developing sports skills even before the infants viewing them can walk.

Last update: December 1, 2010 - 7:47 AM

As a fitness coach in Grand Rapids, Mich., Doreen Bolhuis has a passion for developing exercises for children. The younger, it seems, the better.

"With the babies in our family," she said, "I start working them out in the hospital."

Bolhuis turned her exercises into a company, Gymtrix, that offers a library of videos starting with training for babies as young as 6 months. There is no lying in the crib playing with toes. Infant athletes, accompanied by doting parents on the videos, do a lot of jumping, kicking and, in one exercise, something that looks like baseball batting practice.

"We hear all the time from families that have been with us, 'Our kids are superstars when they're in middle school and they get into sports,'" Bolhuis said.

Future Robinson Canos and Sidney Crosbys are getting their start in sports earlier than ever. Kindergartners play in soccer leagues and at an annual T-Ball World Series in Milton, Fla. But now children are being groomed as athletes before they can walk.

The growing competition in marketing baby sports DVDs includes companies with names such as athleticBaby and Baby Goes Pro. Even experts in youth sports seem startled that the age of entry has dipped so low.

"That's really amazing. What's next?" said Dr. Lyle Micheli, an orthopedic surgeon and founder of the first U.S. pediatric sports medicine clinic at Children's Hospital in Boston.

Micheli said he did not see any great advantages in exposing babies to sports. "I don't know of any evidence that training at this infancy stage accelerates coordination," he said.

One of his concerns, he said, is "the potential for even younger ages of overuse injury."

The entrepreneurs behind these businesses make no claims about turning today's babies into tomorrow's Super Bowl star. In the past, marketing claims for products geared toward babies have caused trouble for companies, including Disney's "Baby Einstein."

To read more go here.

So after reading the article, what are your thoughts? Do you think it is okay to do this to the kids or not?

by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:32 PM

That is crazy!

Jess1231
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:59 PM
Wow I think every child should develop at their own and not have parents push them into stuff they want their kids to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I wonder if it would increase the child's chance of injuries from repetitive motions as they grow? 

Plus, what happened to letting the kid pick their own sports?  We would never force our son to play a sport he didn't like.

jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Interesting

kmrtigger
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Quoting Jess1231:

Wow I think every child should develop at their own and not have parents push them into stuff they want their kids to do.

I agree with you to a point. But if they never stick with something, how will they ever really appreciate anything later in life.

Right now my boys are happy not being involved in sports of any kind. But I am making them all do a season of soccer. Who knows, they might enjoy it later. But they won't know UNTIL they try.

02nana07
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I think the child should develop their interest only after they are old enough to decide.

Miranda1127
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM

as long as the parents aren't over exerting the kids babies I don't see how it's any different then thinks like 'your baby can read'.

shell81
by on Mar. 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM

WOW

kmrtigger
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 11:46 PM

playing soccer

amberdy
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 11:51 PM
I agree.

Quoting Miranda1127:

as long as the parents aren't over exerting the kids babies I don't see how it's any different then thinks like 'your baby can read'.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)