Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Do you stay or do you go?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:05 AM
  • 58 Replies

When your kid has practice do you usually hang out and watch, or do you drop them off and pick them up after practice?

Do the recent coaching scandals make you reconsider leaving?

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Lately, I've been dropping him off. He's gotten to the age where he can put on all his equipment without any help. I'm really enjoying that!

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:46 AM

One of us stays at her practice.  In better weather (and better back), I would sometimes go for a run.  I like to see what they are working on and, if they want, practice that at home.  As their coach for softball in the spring, i usually recommend the parents to stay and even help during the practices so they can hear the cue words that I use so they can practice with them at home. 

Barabell
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

One of us stays at her practice.  In better weather (and better back), I would sometimes go for a run.  I like to see what they are working on and, if they want, practice that at home.  As their coach for softball in the spring, i usually recommend the parents to stay and even help during the practices so they can hear the cue words that I use so they can practice with them at home. 

I can see in softball how parents staying would help. In hockey, I can't hear what is being said by the coaches during practice, and there isn't always a place for him to get ice to practice. You have to find an outdoor rink with boards, and it's not fun if the place doesn't have a warming house. Or you have to find an indoor rink with an allotted hockey free skate time for kids his age, and it's rare to find that.

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I go, but I wait until the class starts. When his coach calls out for the "young blade elite" then I leave. No, the recent issues have not changed my mind. There are many parents that do stay and I also know other parents that don't.

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Lately, I've been dropping him off. He's gotten to the age where he can put on all his equipment without any help. I'm really enjoying that!

I love not having to be there. Nathan actually prefers it. He says I make him nervous. He has a tournament coming up in Jan and I will be there to watch that.

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting M4LG5:

I can see in softball how parents staying would help. In hockey, I can't hear what is being said by the coaches during practice, and there isn't always a place for him to get ice to practice. You have to find an outdoor rink with boards, and it's not fun if the place doesn't have a warming house. Or you have to find an indoor rink with an allotted hockey free skate time for kids his age, and it's rare to find that.

We are not allowed anywhere near the fencers. If we watch on Saturday mornings, then we have to sit on the bleachers and there is no talking, no cell phones, or disruption of any kind.

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I do sit outside the door for his private trumpet lesson because that is only a half hour, but the lesson is behind closed doors with him and the instructor.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM

At hte karate dojo I stay and worlout on my own while they train. A benefit of us all going there. Also, like witht he softball, if I see what he's learning in class, we can work on it together at home. We are all the same belt rank right now so teh rule is that we call all practice something if we have been taught it by sensei in class but I can't teach the kids things I learn in my class that they haven't covered yet and vice cersa.

When we have a sport like baseball at a park or somewhere I eitehr workout on my own, stretch, calesthenics or jogging, or bring my dog and walk/run her and play with her. 

There are times I have dropped off the kids at events or karate and gone shopping or run other errands but I prefer to workout too.

The scandals I hear about sports don't make me change my routine. If it's a "new" activity I definitely stay for a while to get a feel for the people and atmosphere but overall I trust that the kids know what to do and would tell me if anything happened.

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

At hte karate dojo I stay and worlout on my own while they train. A benefit of us all going there. Also, like witht he softball, if I see what he's learning in class, we can work on it together at home. We are all the same belt rank right now so teh rule is that we call all practice something if we have been taught it by sensei in class but I can't teach the kids things I learn in my class that they haven't covered yet and vice cersa.

When we have a sport like baseball at a park or somewhere I eitehr workout on my own, stretch, calesthenics or jogging, or bring my dog and walk/run her and play with her. 

There are times I have dropped off the kids at events or karate and gone shopping or run other errands but I prefer to workout too.

The scandals I hear about sports don't make me change my routine. If it's a "new" activity I definitely stay for a while to get a feel for the people and atmosphere but overall I trust that the kids know what to do and would tell me if anything happened.

I stayed for the first year of my sons fencing class. The class was only an hour and was really cool to watch him learn something new. That was the first time I have ever been to a fencing class so I was learning right along with him.

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting M4LG5:

I can definitely understand.  I also like watching even if I can't hear what the coaches are saying.  To be honest, the other moms and I bring out our fold up chairs and park our butt right on the side and chit-chat. It's actually my time to relax.  hahaha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN