Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

When your kid has practice do you usually hang out and watch, or do you drop them off and pick them up after practice?

Do the recent coaching scandals make you reconsider leaving?

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Replies (31-40):
SHONTAR
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:30 PM
I always stay if a man is teaching. My sister was killed by a sex offender we knew for 7 years when I was young. He was a close friend of our family and taught me to watch who had access to my girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goldey
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM
My oldest child doesn't play any sports yet but if so I would just pick her up for practice I don't trust anyone with my kids but my mother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msdebbied
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Hell yes!!!!

ladybug629
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM
3 moms liked this

My husband has been a youth coach for years, and I know he and many other coaches prefer if parents of children younger than midle school age stay during practice. The coaches arent babysitters, and usually are volunteers. What if the child got hurt, needed to use a restroom, had behavioral issues? And coaches like to have a couple parents help out.

mommybug77
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 9:43 PM
Depends on which kid and time length. I trust their coaches. Someone always stays with our 4 y/o though
Kylie819
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 9:45 PM

My daughter is a competitive dancer and is at the studio 25 hours per week on average.  I do not stay the entire time.  I trust the staff with her and am comfortable with the measures they have in place.  All rooms have either a camera with viewing TV's in the lounge or windows.  Although honestly I like the windows so that I can watch DD dance, not so I can check up on the teachers.  There are parents, teachers, kids there at all times.  The kids have a dress code, including particular rules for classes with male teachers (which for Ky is tap, hip hop, and ballet).  Ky has two private lessons; both are with female teachers and have windows for me to watch at any time.  Yes the teachers touch the kids - they have to in order to position their body correctly for jumps, turns, poses, etc.  Ky's technique privates are very hands on, which I think is a good thing.  It is much more effective to show rather than tell.  I love our studio and we have never had any issues with any of our teachers.  :)

Miranda1127
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Sometimes I stay sometimes I go. It depends on what it is, which kid, and what else is going on.

Miranda1127
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 10:43 PM

the recent coaching scandals do not make me reconsider. I would never leave either kid in a situation where such things could occure.

azeventdiva
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Depends on the age. My almost 13yo, I've been dropping her off for dance class once a week for a few years now (stayed when she was in 4th & 5th grade). I also drop her off for Karate practice, and she stays after school for softball.

My 4yo will be starting Soccer in Jan, and I'll be staying for that. But, when she has ballet, the parents aren't allowed to stay and watch. So, I usually waited outside the classroom door with other parents (class was only 45mins), or ran to the post office or somewhere close if I needed to do something near by.

Never are any of my children completely alone with an instructor, or closed off from the public. Once a week my oldest does have private lessons with the karate instructor for a half hour. However, his office and the entire dojo is glass fronted (office faces the parking lot). She knows not to go into any closed off areas alone (only closed off area in the dojo is the bathroom). Since that one is only a half hour, I'm usually in the parking lot reading or something any how. Sometimes there are other private lessons going on at the same time (assistant instructor teaching, or someone else making up time they missed and so taking instruction with my daughter).

greatmom0805
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:33 PM
Drop off , stay involved if you have any distrust , the pa scandal hasn't effected us to not trust our coach !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)