Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When your kid has practice do you usually hang out and watch, or do you drop them off and pick them up after practice?

Do the recent coaching scandals make you reconsider leaving?

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Replies (41-50):
JennWatt
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 8:59 AM
I coach and some of my parents stay and some don't (I coach 16 and under volleyball). Some stay because they like to watch practice and some stay because they live too far away to leave. I used to not like parents at practice, but now I like it. When parents watch practice they know exactly what is going on. They hear what you are saying and what corrections you are making, etc. Sometimes kids are not good at relaying info to their parents.
styleplus
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

As our kids have gotten older (12,14, 17) and played for the same teams/coaches  for a number of years we have started to drop them off at practice and pick them up later.  On occasion we will still stay when the younger one practices or come back early to watch what is going on with either of them.   With all the stories you hear, it does really make you wonder if you really should always be there.

ivy801
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't trust anyone so where ever she is I am there. When she started doing gymnastic the other parents and I would hang around taking turns looking in the windows. Is boring to stay but her safety is my priority.

dare2baware
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I have 5 children (34, 29, 27, 21, 20) - In the 'olden' days I would go and left when I felt comfortble. Of course, my children had instructions. But they knew that I was sitting in the car reading my book. It all depends on the sports/teacher/coach also. There where times when I preferred to stay. It really is a matter of how it makes you feel. Trust your intuition. But don't trust anyone. These days seem to be so much worse. and now I am having to deal going through the sam with my 7 grandchildren ;-) Mondays is swim classes and I take my grandaughter, but I NEVER leave her there alone. I follow my intuition.

Dare 2B Aware - Shamanic Journey - Home Schooling 

because you are entitled to my opinion

dare2baware
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Quoting ivy801:

I don't trust anyone so where ever she is I am there. When she started doing gymnastic the other parents and I would hang around taking turns looking in the windows. Is boring to stay but her safety is my priority.

That's really good. Whatever feels right. I used to feel bad for all of the kids who were just 'dumped' at classes, especially when the mothers talk after and say that it gives them another hour of peace. Annoying when you stand there and want to comment and know you can't. ;-) Your daughter is a lucky girl!! >=)

Dare 2B Aware - Shamanic Journey - Home Schooling 

because you are entitled to my opinion

ivy801
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I don't do it alone my hubby is the same way, is our job to make sure she is safe and learns to be safe.

Quoting dare2baware:

Quoting ivy801:

That's really good. Whatever feels right. I used to feel bad for all of the kids who were just 'dumped' at classes, especially when the mothers talk after and say that it gives them another hour of peace. Annoying when you stand there and want to comment and know you can't. ;-) Your daughter is a lucky girl!! >=)

stepdiva
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:45 PM
This was 40 years ago.
adancemom
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Quoting Kylie819:

My daughter is a competitive dancer and is at the studio 25 hours per week on average.  I do not stay the entire time.  I trust the staff with her and am comfortable with the measures they have in place.  All rooms have either a camera with viewing TV's in the lounge or windows.  Although honestly I like the windows so that I can watch DD dance, not so I can check up on the teachers.  There are parents, teachers, kids there at all times.  The kids have a dress code, including particular rules for classes with male teachers (which for Ky is tap, hip hop, and ballet).  Ky has two private lessons; both are with female teachers and have windows for me to watch at any time.  Yes the teachers touch the kids - they have to in order to position their body correctly for jumps, turns, poses, etc.  Ky's technique privates are very hands on, which I think is a good thing.  It is much more effective to show rather than tell.  I love our studio and we have never had any issues with any of our teachers.  :)

We recently changed dance studios, which is not something I thought we would ever do but some things had gotten out of hand and I no longer felt comfortable with my daughter there.  I didn't feel that her physical safety was ever in danger, but I did feel like some of the teachers, and even the studio owner were encouraging some of the cattiness and other behavior that isn't a positive environment.  The new studio is much more open, we're allowed to watch at all times and talk to the teachers everyday including during her private lessons and team lessons.  I like it SO much better!

adancemom
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Quoting SHONTAR:

I always stay if a man is teaching. My sister was killed by a sex offender we knew for 7 years when I was young. He was a close friend of our family and taught me to watch who had access to my girls.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

hugging

There seems to be way too much evil out there in the world these days, both men and women.

SHONTAR
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 6:25 PM
Thank you- It was a tragic event and an extreme example but nevertheless a reminder that many people prey on children and work for years to gain their trust just take advantage of them. The problem I have is balancing my concern and caution with letting my children develop some independence. Its a constant struggle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)