Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Cheating in Baseball

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

I think it is very sad when grown people feel they have to teach 11-12 year olds to cheat in order to win games. We played a game last night and we played it well but due to horrible officiating and the other team cheating we lost by 1 point. We are currently in first place and the other team is in 3ed. I don't see it to be a big victory when a team wins by cheating and having the umps on their side. Anytime our coach would point out something illeagle going on the ump would disreguard and then make a call against us that was inaccurate. The other team was kicking dirt on the base to cover part of it then moving in and caused them to get hit more. Ground pitches we threw were called balls, ground pitches the other team threw were called strikes. As our coach said, "we would have been better off to have had Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder as the ump behing the plate." I feel bad for our team because they did try their little hearts out and I feel bad for the othre team because they are learning the to win you have to cheat and if you cheat you will get away with it. This isn't always true but it is what they learned yesterday. Sorry I just needed to vent. Thanks.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Except the bad calls on the pitches (which are judgement calls...not against the rules), how do you know if they were cheating? 

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:20 PM

We always focus on the performance, and not the end results. My son plays hockey, and we often see bad calls because of the speed of the sport or because of preconceptions of a team (i.e., that organization plays rough and so they get a lot of penalty calls even if the other team is playing rougher).

Also, I'm not sure how it is in baseball, but if a hockey player talks back to the ref, they usually get thrown out of the game or a penalty at that age. They should know better. For younger kids, the refs will let it slide, but not really for kids 10 and over. If the coaches talk back too much, they'll get kicked out the game. I've seen it happen...LOL I'm curious to see who was complaining to the ref and how it's handled in baseball.

So losing or winning games due to bad ref'ing is just a reality of sports. It sucks. But I noticed since we focus more on the performance and not the win, my son usually has a pretty good attitude even if a game is ref'ed poorly.

nngmommy83
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM
That sucks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HunternChase
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I know what you are saying.. It sucks.. :(
CafeMom Tickers
KimmyPoo
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:16 AM
I know what ya mean it really sucks :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofthree929
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Each of their players after the ump cleared home plate were kicking more dirt onto it and standing with part of their foot on home plate ( which in our league at least is illegal) so our pitcher couldn't really tell where the true strike zone is and it was causing their players to get walked more than they would have. Anytime we would try to pitch a pinch over as not to hit players they would call a ball. Also,  I do relize their will be bad calls but they should be equal and they were so one sided. They were call pitches we threw in the dirt balls (as they should be) when their pitcher threw a pitch in the dirt it was called a strike. And as far as I know we weren't playing prison ball so 2 stirkes shouldn't be an out.

momofthree929
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I know loosing isn't the issue it's loosing unfairly due to cheating being allowed. As our coach said our boys played their hardest, listened to their coaches and out played the other team and each one of them know what was going on he could tell by the looks on their faces.

What our boys learned is that life isn't fair (which I will say is a good lesson if that is what they choose to take from it) or they learned it's ok to cheat to win because no one will correct it. I am hoping they just learned life's not fair because it is a good life lesson.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)