Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

~* Hello ladies *~

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hey ladies, my name's Samantha. I'm married with 2 kids; 6yo DS and 2yo DD. Our DS is in tball this season and it's his first time. We're having some troubles trying to get him to practice with us at home.  He refuses at times and other times he just doesn't put any effort in to it. We constantly keep telling him that in order for him to get better at playing that he'll need to practice.

Idk what to do to get him to practice  more. Any ideas???

by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Make it fun. He is still so young. Don't make it practice yet, make it play time.
3brown1blue
by on May. 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM
We try but all he wants to do is run off and have nothing to do with his tball gear. DH and I were thinking of talking with a parent or two of some of the kids, the ones that are really into the game and can play well for their age, and see if they wanted to make a "play date " per say ... where our kids are practicing together and what not.

Quoting Jessiejack:

Make it fun. He is still so young. Don't make it practice yet, make it play time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wifeofvet
by on May. 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM
None of my kids wanted to practice at home at that age, they just don't have the interest. Just let him play his games and practice with his team, if you push it to hard he may refuse to play at all. Also keep in mind at 6 they really aren't coordinated enough to play the game welll yet. Its just suppose to be fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on May. 20, 2012 at 1:02 AM
My question is why does it matter so much? If he doesn't want to....don't force it. He may not seem interested now but maybe next year or the year after or never. let him guide the pace but always ask him.

I have twins in tee ball. One always wants to practice....the other one will for a but then will go ride her scooter. Both are happy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3brown1blue
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM
I know, but it just sucks that I'm seeing some of his teammates who seemed much more dedicated to playing and it shows in their performance. It's not like we forced him into playing, he wanted to play so he can "be a free agent and play for the Yankees" which is own words. He has gone to a couple games where his cousins were playing and he still wanted to play.

He gets scared of the ball easily, the slightest tap of the ball on him and he makes it seem as though someone threw a fastball deliberately at his body ... so every time we try to toss the ball, he runs away :-/

Quoting wifeofvet:

None of my kids wanted to practice at home at that age, they just don't have the interest. Just let him play his games and practice with his team, if you push it to hard he may refuse to play at all. Also keep in mind at 6 they really aren't coordinated enough to play the game welll yet. Its just suppose to be fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2012 at 2:22 AM
Not all kids like all sports...he's trying tball this year, next season try soccer, swimming or karate... there is plenty of time to find his niche.

In the mean time plays everything..go bowling, play catch, get some hockey sticks an play on the grass. Its more important to encourage athletics and overall physical fitness than expect a 6yo to focuse all his energy on ONE sport...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skippette14
by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:01 AM
My son started tball at 4yrs old, I know a bit young, but he begged to play. He is now on his 4th year, and doing great. He also added in soccer and wrestling last year ( which he loves too)

I couldn't get him to practice much his first couple years, but he would practice and play the games with the team. Now this year he wants to practice almost daily.

We have a rule in our house: try it for the season we have paid for, if you don't wanna play next season, you don't have to. They are not allowed to let their teammates down, or give up on the commitment they have made.
Let your kid play at their own pace. Best of luck
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I didn't think practicing was necessary for t-ball.

Maybe it's just not his sport? My son played t-ball, but didn't care for it.

3brown1blue
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Well with the way he was hitting and throwing, he needs it a bit. Especially the part of him being afraid of the ball :-/.

Quoting Barabell:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on May. 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't recall what age he is but since he is in tee ball, I'm guessing between 4-6 years old.  They will be.  Not all kids will be coordinated.  Catching is REALLY hard.  Again, why does it matter so much for him to be "good".  Have him give you the pace he wants to do tee ball (or any sport).  Offer practice and if he wants it...then do it.  If he doesn't, okay...let it go. 

If you really want to support him learning catching, I do an exercise called "Catch 6".  Start with 1 and work your way around to 6 but slowly (especially at this age).  This will help with his eye-hand coordination as well as where his glove is supposed to be when thrown to a specific area.  Here is a diagram that I give to my parents as a visual.  as soon as he can start catching balls directly at this spots, then you can push it out more for him to run and get it....but I don't advise this to be done until they are about 7-8 years old.

Quoting 3brown1blue:

Well with the way he was hitting and throwing, he needs it a bit. Especially the part of him being afraid of the ball :-/.

Quoting Barabell:

May is National Foster Care Month!

CHANGE A LIFETIME

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)