Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

What are the rules for parents when kids get hurt while playing a sport?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 11 year old started her first ice skating lesson today and fell in a manner which either sprained her wrist really bad or broke her growth plate.

My instinct upon seeing her down and needing help to get up and off the ice was to run down there and check on her. My husband sorta growled at me to sit down and I was confused and didn't listen to him. Tonight I asked him why and he said that you're not supposed to. I asked why, and he said he didn't know, but that he knew you weren't suposed to.

I know that parents aren't allowed on the ice, but it wasn't a case of getting on the ice. I understand that during team sports, parent's shouldn't get on the field.

Is my husband confused? What are the rules?

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:09 AM
Replies (11-19):
LeahJ
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
In would check your league rules. In our football league, they have a very strict no parents on the field rule, including sidelines. You can also ask your coach for clarification. But learn the difference between "hurt" and HURT. sometimes, most time, they just need a minute to shake it off and mom hovering can make it worse, especially for the boys. Kwim?

Quoting Lornamay:

When the hurt kid is on the bench, is it acceptable for parents to go check on them?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomsTaxiAndATM
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Stand up, go to the fence or entrance way outside of the field or rink and wait. Unless your child is panicking or bleeding profusely. The coaches will assess the situation and will usually call you in when they believe the time is right ((hugs)) also Football guys......... and male athletes in general usually HATE it when their moms come running down on to the field! Just sayin...

LeahJ
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. Anything more than a "dude. You good?" is TOO MUCH! the looks on the boys faces when the moms start hugging or, worse, call them sweetie! Yikes! Smother them to death once you're back in the minivan, but never in front of the team!

Quoting MomsTaxiAndATM:

Stand up, go to the fence or entrance way outside of the field or rink and wait. Unless your child is panicking or bleeding profusely. The coaches will assess the situation and will usually call you in when they believe the time is right ((hugs)) also Football guys......... and male athletes in general usually HATE it when their moms come running down on to the field! Just sayin...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomsTaxiAndATM
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Yes!! (lol)

Quoting LeahJ:

Exactly. Anything more than a "dude. You good?" is TOO MUCH! the looks on the boys faces when the moms start hugging or, worse, call them sweetie! Yikes! Smother them to death once you're back in the minivan, but never in front of the team!

Quoting MomsTaxiAndATM:

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM

love it

Quoting LeahJ:

Quoting MomsTaxiAndATM:

highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

For us insurance will not let us be behind the bench, or on the ice.  If our child is really hurt in hockey the trainer or manager will come and get you and take you to the dressing room, or the quite room where you can stay with your child while they are checked out.  In football they go to the first aid station if it is really bad a coach or manager will come and get you to take your child home or to the ER.

Last year my friends son broke his jaw and had a concussion during a hockey game.  She was in the stands wanting to go over but knew she was not allowed until he cleared the ice.  He was down on the ice for five minutes (but she said it seemed like hours), the coach directed her and her husband to the players side entrance where he was being taken off the ice on a stretcher.  The insurance for our teams will not let anyone on the ice or behind the bench unless they have their clearance certificate and this was no different.

BeautyGuru
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I tell all the moms of the kids who play for DB to try their hardest to be calm if you see your child down on the field.  Kids are tougher than you think.  DB was an army medic and he (as the coach) will check out the problem and see if they need momma or if they need to shake it off.  I learned real quick little boys hate the "Sweetie are you ok...let momma kiss it make it better" routine.  It's best to trust your coach.

aneela
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM

my kid isnt in sports yet but from what others have said...seems let the coach handle it first and they will get the necessary help needed and if it is serious obviously the parent will be asked to come down...like ambulance or whatever type serious...

TigerofMu
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I would be available, but not go to my kid unless the paramedics were called and then I would be in the ambulance with them, regardless, or if the coach waved me to the field.  I would make sure that I was in the line of visibility, but not actually in the scene unless called.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)