Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Becoming a wrestling mom

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM
  • 13 Replies

So this is my first year as a wrestling mom and tomorrow is my DS1 first wrestling dual (I am still unsure what the difference between a dual and a tournament is).  DS1 is 8 years old and has previously taken Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  No idea how he will do as a wrestler though.  So far he really seems to enjoy it but I still have to close my eyes when I watch him grapple!  Seeing my DS thrown around like a rag and keep coming back for more is hard to get used to!

embarrassed

Any other wrestling moms here?  Words of advice for tomorrow?  How do you keep little ones occupied at all day events?

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM

LOL  I'd probably have to close my eyes too!!!  lol  Be sure to let us know how it goes.  Hang in there.   :)

TigerofMu
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Dual is two teams facing off.  Tournament involves brackets and multiple teams.  Take a bag of things for them to do and lots of snacks.  Wrestlers won't eat much before weigh in, but are usually hungry throughout the day.  A dual shouldn't be too long though, just a pair of wrestlers (one from each team) at each weight class...well, that's how it is in high school and junior high wrestling.  League type wrestling might be a little different so they can give more kids the opportunity to participate, so I'm not totally sure.

RobynS
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I kept score for my high school wrestling team for three years and LOVED it!!! But as a mom... I'm not sure I could handle watching DS wrestle. He's too young at the moment, and I don't think he'll want to when he's older, but we'll see. Good luck!!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Wrestling is huge in our area but none of my kids have been interested in it.

I hope your son enjoys his season.

Rushn311
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Good luck to your son!!

Sisteract
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Watch him closely- have him be on the look out for rashes or skin breakdown. MRSA loves wrestling mats.

momofsixangels
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Hope he has fun.My ds wasnt interested in it except for watching it on tv

nngmommy83
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Never even watched a match before so I'm no help... Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bob192
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I never watched kids wrestle before, hope he has fun!

Wynn0809
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Good luck to your son!! I'd probably close my eyes too!! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN