Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do any of you coach your kids sports?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM
  • 4 Replies

My hubby is going through a major depression, and he has let a school assignment slip through his fingertips. He has to write a paper that is due tomorrow, and it is supposed to be a coach interview. Is there anyone here who could answer the questions, or who knows a coach who would be able to answer these pretty quick and get back with me? Here are his questions... I appreciate any help anyone could give me with this.

1. What would you say, as a coach, is an ethical dilemma that you have encountered in your career?

2. Why in your opinion do coaches cheat to win?

3. In the coach to parent relationship, what do you think is the most important views?

4. As a coach what is your philosophy and your priority's?

5. How do you handle when you have a challanging player without being discriminatory?

6. If you are at the school/college level, how often do you have to worry about a students grades? Do you often run into a situation where a student is not passing and you have to pull them from the team?

7. Do you ever have students whos family is not involved? Does it cause problems for the player? the team?

8. What information do you think would be helpful for me, as a new coach, in best serving my players?

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tabi_cat1023
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I dont coach so I wish I could help but I cant

invisibleme
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM
1. What would you say, as a coach, is an ethical dilemma that you have encountered in your career?
I think the hardest Ethical dilema I have seen not with myself but with others is when the Parent coach choses players based on friendships rather than players ability and in an attempt to not look like the bad guy fills a kids head with promises they don't intend to keep. ( My son had a coach promise to let him pitch in a game if our pitcher struggled and he looked right past him and called another kid in)

2. Why in your opinion do coaches cheat to win?

Because they are not in ot for the kids. Winning is everything no matter what....

3. In the coach to parent relationship, what do you think is the most important views?

I believe coaches need to be honest with the parents about playing time and what if anything a kid needs to work on.Not making promises they have no intention of keeping,

4. As a coach what is your philosophy and your priority's?
My priority was to make sure all the girls on DDs softball got better and were having fun.
5. How do you handle when you have a challanging player without being discriminatory?
Have a list of team rules at the begining of the season with clear consequences and make sure the parents and kids see it and sign it. Thats what we had to do for our rec center to reduce problems.

6. If you are at the school/college level, how often do you have to worry about a students grades? Do you often run into a situation where a student is not passing and you have to pull them from the team?
My DH has coached at the school level and yes they do have strict grade rewuirements and have had to cut a child because of failing grades. These consequences are clearly stated in the school policies.

7. Do you ever have students whos family is not involved? Does it cause problems for the player? the team?
It's hard on the kids when no one is there to support them but in my experience I have seen the players team mates and many parents take that kid under their wing and support and cheer them on. (We also live in a military community and it somewhat normal for them to be absent)

8. What information do you think would be helpful for me, as a new coach, in best serving my players?
Be honest and fair and always believe in your players no matter what. I have seen many kids get overlooked by coaches because they (coaches) are not willing to look past the kids they know.

I hope this help coming from both a "helper coach" and team mom for several teams over the years.
M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:20 AM
1. What would you say, as a coach, is an ethical dilemma that you have encountered in your career? I don't know if this counts but I'm in one now. I will either have to choose for my own 9 year old to play up a division and leave the other girls I coach behind or have my daughter stay down and not get as much competition and play with the other girls.

2. Why in your opinion do coaches cheat to win?...yes, and its stupid. We are in a division that makes all the coaches make sure each girl plays at least one inning in the outfield and one in the infield and they don't follow through because they want to beat us so keep all their good players in the same position.

3. In the coach to parent relationship, what do you think is the most important views? I'm.not sure what exactly you are asking but my priority is to communicate my goals and what I'm.doing to achieve it.

4. As a coach what is your philosophy and your priority's? I base a lot of my focus on fun and development. I'm a big advocate for positive coaching alliance and john wooden. Success is not winning but effort based.

5. How do you handle when you have a challanging player without being discriminatory? I take her aside and ask what they want out of playing and then create goals with her.

I'm on the rec level but I did coach college for a couple years and I was the coach they met with academically to keep them on track.

7. Do you ever have students whos family is not involved? Does it cause problems for the player? the team? Yes. I never know if the girl is coming or not. I asked the mom to let me k.ow ahead of time and it was fine for a bit then she went back to her usual ways. I felt bad for the girl.

8. What information do you think would be helpful for me, as a new coach, in best serving my players? have objectives, tell your players what they are and create practices that follow it. Also focus on effort rather than performance goals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:07 AM

No I dont and never have

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)