Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Am I wrong? Or is my DH wrong? Or is it just a mess?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM
  • 5 Replies

I never thought I would have this problem. But here I am arguing with my husband over this issue. I’m trying to decide if I need to keep my mouth shut, or continue to argue with what I think is right for my son.

Here’s the deal….

My son is 6 years old. In the little valley we live there are 4 major soccer clubs/coaches for his age. None of them have an official team since the boys are too young to play competitively. Out of the 4 coaches and clubs, my son has been playing with 3 of them. I think as long as my son is happy and invited to play with the different groups he should be able to. Since there is no competition level for the age I see no problem here. As long as he is having fun, and wants to play. I figure have at it. I’m the one who drives him to the places.

My husband thinks he need (son needs) to pick one coach/team/club. Only to play with and support one of the groups. Even though he cant join a team for another 2 years. So this is where the conflict comes, is it wrong to let him play with all of the clubs/coaches? Does he need to already decide 2 years before he can even join a team? The other problem is my husband says that if my son continues to play with the different groups, he walking some political soccer line, that I don’t understand. I see it more like if he picks one place now he’s limiting where his options are when the time comes to chose a team.

What are your thoughts or opinions?

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I'm with you.  I feel that players can get different perspectives and skill development from different people.  I coach my daughters' teams but I bring in several assistant coaches and we each take an area of the game to teach.

I feel that at this time, he should explore and get to know a bunch of kids.  As for this "political line", this is a fine example of adults ruining youth sports and getting in the way. 

momofsixangels
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I vote for you.

louannwilkins
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I'm with you.  At this point I just don't see what difference it makes.  Good luck and keep us posted    :)

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I think as long as you don't mind take him to all the clubs. My DD is in high school level and will play for more than one club over the summer for lacrosse. As long as they are not competing against each other I see no problem with it.

aehanrahan
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:02 PM
I agree!

Quoting M4LG5:

I'm with you.  I feel that players can get different perspectives and skill development from different people.  I coach my daughters' teams but I bring in several assistant coaches and we each take an area of the game to teach.

I feel that at this time, he should explore and get to know a bunch of kids.  As for this "political line", this is a fine example of adults ruining youth sports and getting in the way. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN