Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Safety patrol

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM
  • 11 Replies

Is your child one for their school?

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM

My ds wasnt but my 3 older dd's were and Hannah is one now.Rachel hopes to be one next year

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM

No, I don't think our schools have safety patrol.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Same here

Quoting mumsy2three:

No, I don't think our schools have safety patrol.

CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Our school doesn't have one.  The city employs retired people to be crossing guards.

momofsixangels
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM

The saftey patrols help watch the kids in the halls before and after school.They also open the car doors for the car riders

Lynn750
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Yes, my 11 year old DS is.  At our school, 5th and 6th graders are eligible, and my son was very excited to get to do it this year.  Our pediatrician's daughter did it last year, and I think that's part of the reason my son wanted to.  It works out well, since my DD is in chorus, so she has to be at school early, too, and they were able to do it on the same days.  He's very proud to be a part of it.  As an older kid at the school, he likes helping the younger kids, and got an award from a teacher (not his) for being kind to a younger child.  He even opens the door to the school for people, and he only has to make sure they are supposed to be going in.

momofsixangels
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Quoting Lynn750:

Yes, my 11 year old DS is.  At our school, 5th and 6th graders are eligible, and my son was very excited to get to do it this year.  Our pediatrician's daughter did it last year, and I think that's part of the reason my son wanted to.  It works out well, since my DD is in chorus, so she has to be at school early, too, and they were able to do it on the same days.  He's very proud to be a part of it.  As an older kid at the school, he likes helping the younger kids, and got an award from a teacher (not his) for being kind to a younger child.  He even opens the door to the school for people, and he only has to make sure they are supposed to be going in.

It does make them have a sense of pride.I think its great.Hoping Rachel can do it next year.The teachers here pick who gets to become one

psuahr
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM

At our elementary school, the entire 5th grade is responsible for safey patrol. They can opt out. They have to do safety patrol to qualify for the 5th grade trip at the end of the year. They help kids cross the street, keep kids orderly as they leave school, hold up bus number signs and help the little kids get to the bus. They also help in the lunchroom at lunchtime and put up/take down the flags. I'm not sure that my son really likes it, but he wants to go on the trip.

mysweet1s
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

My oldest is in sixth grade, this is his second year as a safety patrol.  In our district the safety patrol kids are eligible to go on a 5 day trip to South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore, The Badlands, etc.)  Rem willbe going in May and is super excited! :) 

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM
We don't have safety patrol. Growing up I was disappointed only boys could be safety patrol:(....yes I'm old lol.

Quoting momofsixangels:

Is your child one for their school?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)