Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Pushing

momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:36 AM
  • 13 Replies

Do you try to get your kids to chose a sport b/c you played it?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Nope not at all. I am not a big sports person. My parents never encouraged me to be. My kids play lacrosse and we did not even have that as a sport. I thought my husband would but he has done really good. He has Not pushed any of our kids. 

psuahr
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I was so bad at gymnastics a a child the coach told my mom to take me out because they were afraid I would hurt myself... my daughter has been doing it for more than 7 years (she was 9 in November) and she loves it. My son just switched from gymnastics to basketball, and he will probably add martial arts. I'd love for the kids to do sports I did (tennis, soccer) but they are not really accessible here - the one tennis court near us has grass growing out of it. The other was turned into an elementary school garden. Soccer is not available through the community - just at the Y. I'm glad to see that the kids are finding sports that make them happy!

momofsixangels
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I admit I tried.I loved being in gymnastics and tried to get the girls to join but they wouldnt

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM
I never got to do sports. I've always liked gymnastics and martial arts so I suggested them to the kids but I allowed them to pick whatever they wanted. I suggested baseball abd basketball because they had friends doing those. They weren't interested.

We have tried....
Bowling
Flag football
Bmx racing
Swimming
Parkour

They all did martial arts (Okinawa~te karate) and the oldest still trains.
The younger two decided to try gymnastics and love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

No. I wasn't too into sports growing up. I played soccer for 2 years in elementary school and that was it. None of my kids have played soccer outside of phys ed class.

My kids decide what they want to try/play. If we can do the schedule I will sign them up.

Lynn750
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM
No. I am not athletic and never played sports. That's the reason it's so important to me that my kids try every sport. I don't make them play anything in particular, but they do have to be active in something. Both my kids are in horseback riding, and my daughter also swims competitively.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM

No.  The activites I did were because it was what my family could afford.  That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy them, just that I would ahve liked to have tried other things as well, but couldn't.

I would rather my children do something they hold a real interest in, rather than just "because it is there".

Lynn750
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Oh, and between my two kids, they have tried gymnastics, swimming, karate, soccer, baseball, tennis, bowling, archery, basketball, volleyball, and horseback riding.

They've also done activities like Boy Scouts, chorus, safety patrol, and lots of classes like pottery, cooking, legos, magic, science and art.

They are 11 and 9.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Quoting Roo1234:

No.  The activites I did were because it was what my family could afford.  That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy them, just that I would ahve liked to have tried other things as well, but couldn't.

I would rather my children do something they hold a real interest in, rather than just "because it is there".

I agree with this answer

mysweet1s
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM

No,my kids are athletic, I'm not.  I was a cheerleader and a curler.  My DS (12) plays football,basketball, and baseball.  My DD (9) is a competitive swimmer, and plays basketball and softball.  They're both also good golfers.  At 9, my DD can already legitimately beat me in basketball...I'm pathetic!  They get their athleticism from my husband who was a 3 college sport athlete.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)