Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATED 2/5 in RED **WORRIED**Potty Training? Is this normal?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: At what age did your toddler start using the potty?

Options:

0-1 year old

2 years old

3 years old

4 years old

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

Hi. I am the mom of a little girl. She just turned 3 on January 16th. We have TRIED and TRIED introducing potty training by taking her to the store to pick a potty seat for on top of the toilet so she is comfortable & the matching step stole. She is fine with washing her hands and brushing her teeth, and she wants to follow me to the bathroom, look at what I "did" and hand me toilet paper, flush, etc.. But she just won't "go" on the potty. She will sit there nice and polite and char and sing away, but nothing happens. We have talked and talked and bought special underwear for when she is a "big girl" and uses the potty, but no luck. The only other info i will add is that my LO has always just ignored tasks until she was ready...meaning she never practiced crawling, walking, talking...she always had us worried, then in 1-3 days, she would just master the task completely without any real help from us. Should we wait til she is ready, or is this too late?

Should I be worried? Is this TOO OLD not to be trained? Am I doing something wrong? Any Suggestions?

Please at least answer the poll and lmk when your child got the idea of using the potty. Thanks.

Thank you all for your ideas. A lot of them are very helpful, and I have started using any/all of them they we weren't using. But I think we still have a long way to go. We have had a couple succesful visit to the potty. Mostly she likes the idea of going and sitting there, but she doesn't "do" anything while she is on there. And there are times we can see that she has that "poop" look on her face but she will say, "i don't want to poop on the potty. I want to poop in my diaper like a baby. I don't want to be a big girl." That part gets frustrating. Then of course, if we are out somewhere for the day and it isn't really possible to put her on the potty every hour, I feel like we just "allow" her to use the diaper and are going backwards. I hate feeling like, "If I was a better mom, she would be potty trained."

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Replies (11-16):
Lynn750
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I have a home preschool, and I've been potty-training kids for 15 years!  I put them on the potty every 30-45 min, and they'll go eventually.  When they do, they get an M & M or some small candy, or a sticker or stamp on their hand.  (I do 2 for poop, too!  LOL!)  I make a huge deal out of it, and show all the other parents.  I also start giving those rewards to other kids who are already potty-trained, so the new kid wants what they're getting.  My DD was 2 yrs, 3 months, and was completely potty-trained in less than a week, because she wanted to go to preschool, and had to be in underwear before she could go.  My son was 3, and was in no hurry.  

Another method I've used with my preschoolers is to have them "call" a character they like, to tell them they went on the potty.  You could have them call a friend or relative of yours, and they can try to imitate the character's voice, or play a talking toy into the phone.  I had a talking Buzz Lightyear that I used to use.  The Disney princess voices are easy, since they're just a girl's voice.  You can have your daughter call your cell phone, or your home phone from another room, and just make up a voice for her.  Just use sayings that character uses, and change your voice.

XandersMomma07
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM
My son was like that with milestones too but he could not train because he has a sensory disorder and finally trained fully about a month ago he is 5
newoldmommy
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM

BUMP!

rcmama10
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM
My daughter will be three in 7 days and is still having issues with potty training we have a piggy bank and give her a coin every time she goes number 1 but she hasn't done number two so it's a work in progress.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
newoldmommy
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Thank you all for your ideas. A lot of them are very helpful, and I have started using any/all of them they we weren't using. But I think we still have a long way to go. We have had a couple succesful visit to the potty. Mostly she likes the idea of going and sitting there, but she doesn't "do" anything while she is on there. And there are times we can see that she has that "poop" look on her face but she will say, "i don't want to poop on the potty. I want to poop in my diaper like a baby. I don't want to be a big girl." That part gets frustrating. Then of course, if we are out somewhere for the day and it isn't really possible to put her on the potty every hour, I feel like we just "allow" her to use the diaper and are going backwards.  I hate feeling like, "If I was a better mom, she would be potty trained."

*Posting this in the original as well. Thanks ladies. Again, ideas and info are welcome. Thanks.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Don't feel like a bad mom. It just takes time. My son didn't get it until was over 3 also, but he was trained by the time he was 4.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)