Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Trying to find a sports program for my little ones.....know of any?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi!

Im new to Cafe Mom and Im super excited to be a part of this! I have a boy and girl who I want to get involved in some type of sport. Problem is they don't really show interest in any specific sports. I just want to get them active and socializing with other kids. Anybody have any suggestions?  

bow down

Thanks,

Carmen

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM
How old are they?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
carmen305mia
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Andrew is 4 and Melisa is 5

JasonsMom2007
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM
At those ages find options to give them. At 4 my son played soccer and he hated it! But then he tried tee ball and he loves that. He can't wait for tee ball to start!
He has done gymnastics, kung fu, and aikido in the past. He will be 6 in June.
Now my daughter will be 3 in April and she's never done anything like that. She's more of the hide behind my leg type whereas my son jumps in the middle of things. Her day will come :) she wants to try gymnastics but she has to be potty trained first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
carmen305mia
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Thanks for the quick and helpful response! Those sound like great ideas; I think they would like soccer. It would be great if they could both get into the same sport. I will do a little google research tomorrow and see what I come up with. Thank you so much!

Good night

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Honestly...just play catch, kick the ball around, shoot baskets at the park. You don't need a sports league at that age to get kids interested in sports. It's not worth the money unless they ate asking to play.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carmen305mia
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:32 AM

We do that already and they seem to have fun with all sports; they just don't show favoritism towards one more than the others.....I really just want them interacting with other kids. I'm not necessarily looking for a competitive league, just any type of sports program

Lynn750
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I would check your local YMCA or Boys and Girls' Club.  They have very good prices, and aren't very competitive.  We have lots of local sports and classes through our city.  You can check on your city's web site to see if they offer sports programs.  I would definetely recommend swimming.  It's a wonderful excercise, and it can save their lives.  My kids started swimming when they were 3.  My daughter is 9 now, and competes in all four strokes.  She loves it! 

My kids have done karate, tennis, soccer, baseball, volleyball, dance, bowling, basketball, archery, and are now into horseback riding.  Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts are great programs, too.

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM

YMCA or city programs. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I start the kids doing swimming almost from birth - It's a very important skill.

I also suggest maybe a YMCA membership. Their programs are usually not overly competitive and reasonably priced and you can get different prices based on income.

I would also watch different sports on TV. Are they any they get excited about? DS2 saw BMX racing on TV one day and asked to try it. We did it for about a year. It was neat!

DS2 and DD watched an Olympic "show" before the olympics and saw the gymnasts and wanted to try- they have both been doing gymnastics for over a year and are on level 3 already! They have little kids doing gymnastics- they offer a preschool group all the way up to adult.

My oldest had an interest in martial arts and I believe in teaching self defense young so he tried it. Pretty soon the other two, who had to sit and wait while he did it, asked to try it too. They all trained for over a year but the oldest has stuck with it and is on his 3rd year and a purple belt working toward his blue. (I train also and love it- great full body workout AND can save your life!) The dojo we train at will aloow a 4yo to try it and see if they have the parience/attention span but really prefers kids wait until 5yo to start.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM

My 5 year old played soccer this fall but we will not be doing that again, he is more of a football player. He is ice skating now and will play lacrosse in the spring. I know we can teach him at home and he can learn the skills at home but I  think it's important to socialize at that age. Teaching them to take turns and share, passing. My son can't learn that at home alone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN