Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Fencing

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 6 Replies

DS wants to learn fencing ever since he saw The Olympics.  No one I know has a child who is interested.  I have found a local fencing school who is willing to take him as a student.  I don't know anything about fencing have been reading books about it with DS.

Does anyone have any experience they would like to share? 

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I don't have personal experience with it, but a CM friend of mine had a son that used to fence. It sounds like there are monthly fees plus equipment costs.

I did hear that there are good college scholarship opportunities in fencing.

mamavalor
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

The beginners group is pretty reasonable.  The price of lessons include all required equipment, which is good.

Oh goodness.  I can't think of college, let alone college scholarships.  He's only 6.

Do your kids play hockey?

Quoting Barabell:

I don't have personal experience with it, but a CM friend of mine had a son that used to fence. It sounds like there are monthly fees plus equipment costs.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Yes, I have one son that is 13, and he loves hockey. He's at practice right now. :-)

Quoting mamavalor:

The beginners group is pretty reasonable.  The price of lessons include all required equipment, which is good.

Oh goodness.  I can't think of college, let alone college scholarships.  He's only 6.

Quoting Barabell:

mamavalor
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:53 AM

How wonderful!  It's so much fun watching them play!  What position does he play?  Has he played long?

I have a hubby who absolutely LOVES, LOVES, LOVES ice hockey.  He's 50 and is on two men's leagues.  He just found an age 60 and over league.  AUGH! 

Our son just started street hockey and loves playing goalie.  I don't want my son to play ice hockey.  It seems so much rougher and I don't want my baby to get hurt. 

Quoting Barabell:

Yes, I have one son that is 13, and he loves hockey. He's at practice right now. :-)

Quoting mamavalor:

Quoting Barabell:

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

He's a defense player. He took learning to skate/intro to hockey classes when 6 and 7, and he started association playing when 8. There are a lot of adult leagues in our area too, and so I'm pretty sure he'll be like your husband...LOL

I'm not sure where you live, but there is no checking in US hockey until you're a Bantam (13+). I hear a lot of people voice concerns about hockey, but I very rarely see injuries in youth hockey. The most common thing I see is the kid getting the wind knocked out of them. Last year, a kid on another team had a finger broken, and that's the longest I've heard of a kid being out due to an injury on the ice during any season my son has played.

Quoting mamavalor:

How wonderful!  It's so much fun watching them play!  What position does he play?  Has he played long?

I have a hubby who absolutely LOVES, LOVES, LOVES ice hockey.  He's 50 and is on two men's leagues.  He just found an age 60 and over league.  AUGH! 

Our son just started street hockey and loves playing goalie.  I don't want my son to play ice hockey.  It seems so much rougher and I don't want my baby to get hurt. 

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting mamavalor:

Quoting Barabell:

momofsixangels
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

No sorry but I think it would be a great idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)