Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Anyone else with a competitive gymnast?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM
  • 8 Replies

Just curious :) There is a gymnastics moms group, but it pretty slow. Months between posts. This is DDs first year in gymnastics and is competing with at 6 years old L4. Just looking for some other moms to relate to! 

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

We aren't doing competitive yet.... but possibly soon...DD has been at it for about 1 year...

DD is 9yo and is working level 3 and her coach mentioned moving her up to "hot shots" (pre-team) after the next 6 week session if she meets her goals. She's pretty close to most of them. Like her whatever-it's-called on bars..lol she gets it about 50% of the time.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

psuahr
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
My daughter is 9 and she has been competing since she was about age 5. This is her 2nd year in MAGA, so they are competing optionals with High School scoring. Here are some of her skills - beam: back walk over, full turn, cartwheel back tuck dismount, working back handsprings. Vault: handspring. Bars: kip, flyaway dismount. Floor: 2 handspring with back tuck, front walkover, front tuck, working half twist.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Wow! We aren't even close to those skills!

DD kinda got a late start but is doing very well ~ IMO ~ for as long as she has been training. We really need to work on her splits and bridge kickover for the stage she is at.

Quoting psuahr:

My daughter is 9 and she has been competing since she was about age 5. This is her 2nd year in MAGA, so they are competing optionals with High School scoring. Here are some of her skills - beam: back walk over, full turn, cartwheel back tuck dismount, working back handsprings. Vault: handspring. Bars: kip, flyaway dismount. Floor: 2 handspring with back tuck, front walkover, front tuck, working half twist.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommasaint
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We aren't doing competitive yet.... but possibly soon...DD has been at it for about 1 year...

DD is 9yo and is working level 3 and her coach mentioned moving her up to "hot shots" (pre-team) after the next 6 week session if she meets her goals. She's pretty close to most of them. Like her whatever-it's-called on bars..lol she gets it about 50% of the time.

Good luck to your DD! It's so fun when they get to start going to meets, but time consuming and expensive :) 

mommasaint
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Wow, that's awesome! DD just got her roundoff back handspring, back handspring. And her round off back handsrping back tuck. She is getting more consistent with her kips, but they still have a ways to go. What is MAGA? This is our first year competing so we ar still learning some of the lingo :) 

Quoting psuahr:

psuahr
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM

MAGA is Midwest Amateur Gymnastics Association. AAU and USAG are more common. We're at this club because the coaching is the strongest. We initially joined because of the boys program, but my son quit this year. We certainly have no illusions of DD being in the Olympics - there is a girl training for the Olympics at our club (she competes USAG), and the dfifference is obvious, but she loves it, and we'll support her as far as she wants to go. Our old club competes AAU. The main difference in the different organizations is the scoring - I can explain a little more if you'd like - just post back and I will respond. I've been hanging out in gyms for more than 8 years now... :)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah - we understand time consuming and expensive - DS1 and I go to karate tournaments and they can be insane!

Quoting mommasaint:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Good luck to your DD! It's so fun when they get to start going to meets, but time consuming and expensive :) 

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

momofsixangels
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

No.My dd's never got into it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)