Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Kids who play sports that have high goals

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 12 Replies

My DD is 10 yrs old... She is an amazing little lady. She is also an amazing athlete.. She loves to play softball and it happens to be what she is good at (sports wise). She has been playing for a few years. Even at her younge age she has been on a championship team and  has already decided that she is gonna go to college and play college ball. She is currently on a AAA team, and will be trying out for a travel team that plays during the reg season. So that would make two teams in spring season. She is not on a team of girls her age she plays with girls 2 yrs older than her. She has three practices and one lesson a week. She is a straight A student and has never let her grades drop. I am a very proud mommy. She has excelled in everything she has put her mind to. 

My question is... Do any one else have a child who is as goal oriented?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My 14 year old dd pushes herself and pushes hard.She is a straight A student but puts so much pressure on herself

bumNmoos_mom
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

that's one thing, that they do not wear themselve's out.. I tell my daughter all the time, you can take a break. Just make sure that break does not interfere with the team depending on you. Off seasons are good in our house. We get maybe two months off of softball/baseball a year... She does what ever she wants then, but during season she has repsonsibilities  so I tell her to live it up on her time off.. 

Quoting momofsixangels:

My 14 year old dd pushes herself and pushes hard.She is a straight A student but puts so much pressure on herself

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My girls are very goal oriented.  We are also a softball family.  My husband and I coach, my 9 year old plays, our 6 year old twins play, and I"m the coach coordinator for the league.  My 9 year old wants to play at Stanford.  I think its great but I'm not going hold her to it or force her to be at that level all the time.  I am a coach that holds onto the philosophy of John Wooden:  Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing that you made the effort to do your best to become the best at what you are capable of doing. 

In short, I focus on the process and improvement no matter what age they are, what skill level they are, and hope they have fun along the way. 

I played college softball and it was fantastic.  But, it always needs to be their goals and I know it can change as they get older. 

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Quoting bumNmoos_mom:

that's one thing, that they do not wear themselve's out.. I tell my daughter all the time, you can take a break. Just make sure that break does not interfere with the team depending on you. Off seasons are good in our house. We get maybe two months off of softball/baseball a year... She does what ever she wants then, but during season she has repsonsibilities  so I tell her to live it up on her time off.. 

Quoting momofsixangels:

My girls also play soccer and just started playing basketball.  We do softball playdates in the off-season which means once a month we invite girls to the softball field to do some basic softball and maybe even have a game (if there is enough) just for fun and to keep them with some skills. 

I love that they are involved in other sports.  My 9 year old loves to play but is very passionate about softball.

bumNmoos_mom
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I emphasize to my dd that Softball is just another way of getting into college...  But to not depend on that, good grades are a must. My daughter is skilled she is a catcher/pitcher/lefty... I have had her train with Cal Berkeley's coach, even they were impressed. With such abilities come certain expectations.. If she decided to take a season off then fine, but she should not expect to be @ the same level she was before. Scholarships are important for our family, we are not rich so the more the better.  I am happy to have you on here as a friend. I like to hear what other softball moms have to say!!

Quoting M4LG5:

My girls are very goal oriented.  We are also a softball family.  My husband and I coach, my 9 year old plays, our 6 year old twins play, and I"m the coach coordinator for the league.  My 9 year old wants to play at Stanford.  I think its great but I'm not going hold her to it or force her to be at that level all the time.  I am a coach that holds onto the philosophy of John Wooden:  Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing that you made the effort to do your best to become the best at what you are capable of doing. 

In short, I focus on the process and improvement no matter what age they are, what skill level they are, and hope they have fun along the way. 

I played college softball and it was fantastic.  But, it always needs to be their goals and I know it can change as they get older. 

bumNmoos_mom
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM

We have tried other sports... She tried gymnastics, she hated everything but the high beam. We tried cheer, that was deff not for her. All other sports she does not care to play. I am glad she found her niche.. ( not that cheer is a sport) Had to throw that in..lol

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting bumNmoos_mom:

Quoting momofsixangels:

My girls also play soccer and just started playing basketball.  We do softball playdates in the off-season which means once a month we invite girls to the softball field to do some basic softball and maybe even have a game (if there is enough) just for fun and to keep them with some skills. 

I love that they are involved in other sports.  My 9 year old loves to play but is very passionate about softball.

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

No matter what you hear, softball scholarships hardly come in as a "full ride".  It's parceled among most of the players on the team.  NCAA only allows the equivalent of 12 scholarships to be disbursed....no more.  Teams can have up to 20 or more on each team.  What's funny is that people pay crazy amounts of money for lessons and travel ball teams that had they saved that money, they would have easily paid the amount of college fees (and maybe even more) that the scholarship pays for.  I was asked to coach a few 10U tournament teams and declined because I don't want to push my girls that way at such an early age.  I would say around 12, 13 years old we may....if they want to go that route.  I do not put my daughters in softball for a college scholarship.  I put them in it because they love to play.  Time will tell if a college scholarship is a bonus.  I'm also a college advisor so, for me, I do not want them to think college is only about softball and if they don't play, college doesn't mean as much.  My take is that if they make it to play college softball, they are there first and foremost because they earned their way in academically. 

Quoting bumNmoos_mom:

I emphasize to my dd that Softball is just another way of getting into college...  But to not depend on that, good grades are a must. My daughter is skilled she is a catcher/pitcher/lefty... I have had her train with Cal Berkeley's coach, even they were impressed. With such abilities come certain expectations.. If she decided to take a season off then fine, but she should not expect to be @ the same level she was before. Scholarships are important for our family, we are not rich so the more the better.  I am happy to have you on here as a friend. I like to hear what other softball moms have to say!!

Quoting M4LG5:

bumNmoos_mom
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I agree... I do not want her to think that she has to depend of a softball scholarship. Her achademics deff come first. I have not worries that she will go to college, She has funds for that, but it would deff be easier for her to get scholarships to help and make things easier on her.

Quoting M4LG5:

No matter what you hear, softball scholarships hardly come in as a "full ride".  It's parceled among most of the players on the team.  NCAA only allows the equivalent of 12 scholarships to be disbursed....no more.  Teams can have up to 20 or more on each team.  What's funny is that people pay crazy amounts of money for lessons and travel ball teams that had they saved that money, they would have easily paid the amount of college fees (and maybe even more) that the scholarship pays for.  I was asked to coach a few 10U tournament teams and declined because I don't want to push my girls that way at such an early age.  I would say around 12, 13 years old we may....if they want to go that route.  I do not put my daughters in softball for a college scholarship.  I put them in it because they love to play.  Time will tell if a college scholarship is a bonus.  I'm also a college advisor so, for me, I do not want them to think college is only about softball and if they don't play, college doesn't mean as much.  My take is that if they make it to play college softball, they are there first and foremost because they earned their way in academically. 

Quoting bumNmoos_mom:

Quoting M4LG5:

MamaSnaps
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Our youngest son is very goal driven in wrestling. It is his primary sport and we start in November and only take time off to play football from late August through October. 
His goal at first was to make first string varsity in his 7th grade year-which he succeeded at. Now it's to get a free ride to Penn State for Wrestling as a scholar athelete. I am even more impressed by his accomplishments because he isn't just a natural born athlete. He works hard at mastering it. 
I am incredibly proud of him and impressed by his accomplishments, dedication and the way he works out every single day. It's been so many blessings. Because of it I know I don't have to worry about the drug scene-he won't take meds because he knows it can affect his performance. I don't have to worry about the dating scene yet-and that's impressive as he's a freshman now. I don't have to worry about where he is or what he is doing. I don't have to worry about his grades because he can't wrestle if he's not on honor roll and he knows he won't get a ride if he isn't in excellent academic standings as well as a phenomenal athlete. 

On the flip side, it's also a little scary. There is much he gives up for his sport(s) and that worries me sometimes.  He seems to have a good social life so far, but it's definitely not like that of other kids his age! His friends seem content for him to hang when he can, but respect his hard work and dedication too. I pray it stays that way! I also pray he stays this dedicated-he's the one that has the potential to be my WILD CHILD without the focus on his wrestling.

Furthermore I am terrified of the day he graduates. My whole life revolves around his wrestling all but 3 months of the year. Without that I have no clue who we are anymore! LOL! 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I'm working on getting my kids goal oriented... I'm not sure how much comes naturally and how much can be influenced.

When I was growing up, I found my dream job in Jr. High and worked my ass off to achieve it all through high school. I wanted to become a police officer. I spent 6 years as a police explorer, took Admin of Justice in college, got a firearms security job at 18, etc. When I turned 21, the minimum age, I applied and was  hired and on to the police academy.

I have yet to see anything even CLOSE to my ambition or goal setting in my three kids.

My oldest, I have encouraged and pushed in Boy Scouts to get his Eagle Scout from the age of 7. Letting him pick and choose what he wanted but always reminding pushing. Then, just after September, he had aTOTAL MELTDOWN on how he hated me, hated scouts, etc etc.... so I totally stepped back. Told him, "It's your life, your problem, I'm stepping out." ...TWO WEEKS ago...He tells me he wants to make Eagle Scout and is going...of all places... to West Point! I couldn't be more excited. Let's see now if he follows through.

DD is a realyl gifted gymnast- IMO - she has done karate and has a lot of flexability and bnalance but has only been doing gymnastics for about 18 months. She just got asked to move up to the level 4 pre-team group. Will she make hte olympics? Probably not... but could she do well and compete and get some medals? Sure!! If she applies herself. Right now, it's all just fun and games. While I believe is SHOULD be fun and games, you don't get greatness without EFFORT as well and so far, I don't see much effort..just a lot of playing.

My middle Ds, is also doing gymnastics and really loves it. He is actually putting in more effort than DD. He is a bit overweight and has been making an effort to make good food choices, has been working out at home in addition to practices. So far, he isn't that great at the actual gymnastics - but heart and soul wise- he is heads and shoulders above the other two kids....Who knows where this wil ltake us!

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN