Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Softball draft results...the good, the bad, the ugly

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM
  • 7 Replies

I really wish I can keep my team from last year but our league does a draft every year.  The only person that is protected is the manager's daughter (not even our assistant coaches).  Well, here is the good, the bad, and the ugly that happened:

The good:  As a coach, I'm very proud that 5 of my 6 athletes from last year (my daughter not included since she was protected), were drafted in the top 3 picks for each team. 

The bad:  Now I have to face my own products! haha.  They are good athletes and will give me a run for my money for sure. 

The ugly: Pretty much the best player in the division was going to go comp but we convinced her family to stay in rec so she can still learn more (and as her coach, I'll make sure she learns at her level).  Her dad is my assistant coach and we are all very good friends.  Because the league knew we were lucky that she came back to the league, we thought there was a "gentleman's agreement" that I would be the one to select her because she came back under the conditions she would learn more under me and her dad is part of my coaching staff.  Even if the girl was not great, I'd still draft her.  Well, one team doesn't have a manager yet so the Vice President (who KNOWS all of this) stood in for the yet-to-be-announced manager and ended up PICKING this girl for the other team.  On top of that, the rest of the girls he picked are not pitchers (so she is the only one and will have to pitch most of the time even though she wants to play other positions) and are athletes that need a lot of work.  So, I can see her having to be the one to do it all for the team and her maybe even getting bored because she doesn't have any challenges on her team.  She is a much better athlete but at least the girls that I had on my team last year was just a smidgen under her skill level and what they learned didn't stop them or her from developing more.

Once the other manager is named, we can try to trade but....she is the best player....I doubt the other person is not going to want to trade.  They don't have anyone that is interested in managing so I'm afraid it will be a mom or dad that decides to just go ahead and do it but doesn't know what they are doing.

I'm trying to convince a few people that may be good to manage but they don't have time.

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bumNmoos_mom
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM

It is hard when it comes to a child that has skills to be put on a team that isnot a challenge for her.

My DD is at age range to be in AA but drafted AAA.. At that was 2nd third draft over the older girls. She is a whirl wind of amazingness. The coach likes to give them all nicknames. So DD got hers lastweek and it is "killer" because when she hits the ball he says she hits to kill..  She was also stoked that he told her last week that she is the whole package. In prev years, other coaches would not say that. Alot of coaches don't compiment to that level cause they usually like to pay a tad bit more attentiont to their own children. 

Now that you have your team... They will be great. If you take your time and teach and coach what you know to your best of your abilities then you will have a great team.  And, as for the assistant coaches, their girls are not gauaranteed to be on thier team?? Wow.. My husband has always been an assistant coach but this year he is second coach to the manager. It made him very happy!!! 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Uggg - that sucks that you didn't get her.I would probably suggest that she back out and go with the competitive team if it's going to hold her back!

I hope you havea great season!

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Uggg - that sucks that you didn't get her.I would probably suggest that she back out and go with the competitive team if it's going to hold her back!

I hope you havea great season!

That is what the mom is thinking but we are all going to sit down and talk soon.  We may do an informal "team" that plays every so often on Sundays against other comp teams.  This team would be hand picked.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM

It's really weird that assistant coaches can cannot be guaranteed their kid would be on their team. I'm surprised that doesn't discourage people from volunteering to be assist. coaches.

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Quoting Barabell:

It's really weird that assistant coaches can be guaranteed their kid would be on their team. I'm surprised that doesn't discourage people from volunteering to be assist. coaches.

That's a great point!  It would allow people to step up and volunteer if they knew their kid was going to be on a certain team. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting Barabell:

It's really weird that assistant coaches can be guaranteed their kid would be on their team. I'm surprised that doesn't discourage people from volunteering to be assist. coaches.

That's a great point!  It would allow people to step up and volunteer if they knew their kid was going to be on a certain team. 

The way it works at the hockey associations my son has been in is that they pick the teams first based on skill, so that liked skilled player are (supposedly) grouped together and play against other association teams that are of similar level. Going into tryouts, the head coaches are already determined. During the first team meeting, the coach asks for assistant coaches and a team manager.

It's all so different that I find it hard to follow your posts about the selection process.

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting Barabell:

The way it works at the hockey associations my son has been in is that they pick the teams first based on skill, so that liked skilled player are (supposedly) grouped together and play against other association teams that are of similar level. Going into tryouts, the head coaches are already determined. During the first team meeting, the coach asks for assistant coaches and a team manager.

It's all so different that I find it hard to follow your posts about the selection process.

Growing up, our softball league was similar.  There was the managers and then the managers had their coaches and then teams were selected after that.

Here, there are the managers that pick the players and then AFTER players are picked, you find volunteers within the pool of parents....which is ridiculous. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)