Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Team moms?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 8 Replies

What are some of the things you carry with you at all times during practices or games?  I've got so much stuff I'm considering pulling a little red wagon behind me with all my junk. 

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM

We had a post on this not too long ago but I can't find it...LOL

It depends on how long it will be. If it is just a practice, or a tournament.

Preactice: I bring a chair, water bottle for each of us, snacks, first aid kit (in car at all times), mat for siblings to sit on.  (My kids are all old enough to bring hteir own forms of entertainment - games, books, toys, etc.)

Tournaments I bring more food and a variety of drinks. They last all day.  I also bring a camera and a book

Barabell
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Are you referring to being a team manager or just a mom of a kid in a team sport?

Currently, I'm not a team manager. My son is responsible for carrying his own gear, and so it does not require for me to carry anything extra.

Our team mom has to keep the score sheet book and stickers for it. She also always brings extra rosters for the people who lose them. Other than that, she just uses her smart phone.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM

It depends on the sport.

Football~ I stay at the practice field with my son. I usually pack a bag with books/magazines. Snack and water for myself and my youngest son. My youngest's toys, blanket, gloves and hat when it starts getting colder.

Basketball~ We just drop off. Coaches don't let the parents stay in the gym during practice. Games I bring water, my youngest brings stuff to do. If I am the snack mom for that game I have snack with me too.

Baseball~ My youngest is playing for the first time this year. I am sure I will stay at practice, it's at our local park. I plan to walk/jog the trail while he is practicing. I probably pack a bag similar to football minus hat and gloves.

bumNmoos_mom
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I only take a gatorade or water and my purse.. But at games we pack drinks and snacks but out of town only drinks, we go out and eat after. If my other dd/ds is not the only playing and wants to bring something they are responsible for carrying thier own stuff

mommasaint
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Like someone else said it depends on the sport. I don't stay and watch DD's gymnastics practices, mostly because it is distracting to the kids, and I don't have 12 hours a week to spare watching her. I actually don't watch any of their practices, I perfer to be let the coaches and kids do their thing and I'm usually to busy running one of them someplace else.

For football or soccer games, water bottles, chairs, blankets (it's usually cold here) and snacks. Basketball same minus the chair and blankets. 

If it's a gymnastic meet, pretty much everything I own lol. They are an ALL day thing. 

psuahr
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Just one note on bringing food and drinks to athletic events... as parents we need to balance the cost with the fact that we want the competing teams to spend money when they come to our events - it is a fundraiser for the team. We try not to bring food or drinks with us for that reason... except for me since I am a vegetarian, and most places have nothing for me to eat.

MamaSnaps
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a wagon! And I am "team mom" for our wrestling team.
We carry a case of water for the boys and a "mom bag" that has EVERYTHING under the sun in it. I deal mostly with varsity wrestling. Football is secondary. So, some stuff is directly related to wrestling (like tampons-nose bleeds.)
Cloth atletic tape
Stretchy athletic tape
Gauze
Bandaids
Contact solution
Razor
nail clipper
Small OB tampons
Blue Goo
Advil/Tylenol, Pepto, dramamine and benadryl-this is something you cannot GIVE to other kids. You have to give it to the parents.
contact case
munchies
Gum in sour flavors
pens, pencils and sharpies
Note pad
AA Batteries
Ipod, micro USB cords with a plug
Micro SD card with adapter-you have no idea how many times I've been asked for a camera card
CF cards for my cameras
My camera equipment
My own Meds
Double sided carpet tape-that stuff will hold anything together if you have to!
Small sewing kit
ear plugs
Ear phones
Sample size deoderant, shampoo and body wash
Hand sanitizer
Lamisil or Lotramin (ringworm)
Towel
Chap Stick in bulk 

In my car there is a small bag with: 
extra compression shorts in medium and large
extra socks
Extra pair of wrestling shoes in a size 10.5-almost anyone can squeeze into those one way or the other 
A pair of jeans and shirt-you wouldn't believe what gets stolen at a tournament
Extra singlet
Boxers

we also supply a bag of oranges, bananas and apples for each wrestling tournament as well as some other healthy snacks depending on what I feel like buying/making. I do understand that the snack bar is a fundraiser, but for wrestling eating is a BIG deal and eating healthy, properly is a REALLY big deal with our team, so we provide the fruit and water for them. We also have 3 merged schools here. One of which is an EXTREMELY poor district where close to 95% of the students are at food stamp level, so the money for those things at tournaments is just not there. These kids wouldn't have much if the few of us who can afford it didn't do it.  

BeautyGuru
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds about like the load I carry with me.  I try to be prepared for everything that could come up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN