Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Calling all Gymanstics moms....need some advice on preparing DD

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM
  • 3 Replies

Don't get me wrong, I believe my DD can do ANYTHING that she wants with enough time and practice. However, she is 6. She does not comprehend how everything works. She is a competitive gymnast Level 4. This past weekend she pretty much swept her age division. 1st on beam, vault and bars. 1st all around. She was so excited and we were VERY proud of her. 

But now State is coming up. She is 100% sure she is winning. The last meet we were at was a relatively small one compared to other's we have been at. She's never not placed in something no matter what meet, but State is going to bring only the top gymnasts from places we haven't competed against. I'm not really sure how to prepare her little 6 year old self. I just keep reminding her that the most important thing is to have fun and that we are so proud that she even qualified for state! That's a big deal! Do you think I should get more specific then that? DH thinks we should tell her that last year the state champion in her level scored a 37.8, and then show her best AA score of the year so far (34.7) I think we should try to avoid any talk of scores and keep it on having fun, being a good teammate and having good sportsmanship no matter what. 

I don't ever want her to feel like we don't think she can do it. We do. I also don't want her to go in and be crushed. I don't know.....

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I would mention the scores briefly but not make a big deal of it. If you are competing, the reality is there are winners, losers,and scores.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
psuahr
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I would try to focus on how much she enjoys gymnastics more than the competitive nature of it. Does my daughter love to win? Sure, but she loves gymnastics more. When my daughter competes, I tell her two things - point your toes and have fun.

mommasaint
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Thank you! This made me LOL too. Every meet before she goes out to the floor I tell her "Love you, and point your toes!"

Quoting psuahr:

I would try to focus on how much she enjoys gymnastics more than the competitive nature of it. Does my daughter love to win? Sure, but she loves gymnastics more. When my daughter competes, I tell her two things - point your toes and have fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN