Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Every game could be the last

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 8 Replies
2 moms liked this

Had to share this for those of you who are where I am and those of you who don't believe you will ever be here!  My son is a senior in high school this year, part of the starting five for the varsity basketball team.  He has been playing basketball seriously since he was 4 years old, he's nearly 18 now.  His team (the underdogs) has won two post season games and we are on our way to state quarterfinals tomorrow night!  I haven't missed a game but each time could be his very last game ever and it's such an odd feeling- he has already said he does not want to play in college because he isn't that tall (6'1"), isn't going to school on a sports scholarship and needs to take all the time he can to work his way through college and keep up the grades for his goal of medical school.  My "mommy" eyes are trying so hard to remember every minute, from watching him stand for the national anthem and be the only guy with his hand over his heart rather than behind his back (all those years of cub scouts paid off) to watching him get the final rebound and win the game.

If we win tomorrow night it will be a miracle, so once again I am braced for it to be all over.  Just had to share all those older moms were right, it goes oh so fast!

crying

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM

As the athlete that went through this, it is very bitter sweet.  I remember as the days got closer to the end, I had time to reflect how awesome the experience was but crying because it was ending.  In the end, i reflected on how much of an impact it had on my life and it did made me feel better.  Now, when I see my nephew play his last games in basketball for high school (most likely playing college somewhere)....it does bring me back to those times in MY own life but I smile instead of cry now. 

Interestingly enough, in every interview I had, the topic of me playing basketbal and/or softball was brought up extensively and I feel the benefits of being on a team has helped me with getting jobs.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

OH WOW!! Congrats to him and to you!  Makes me shiver thinking about it!

Are you able to get any of it on video?

MamaSnaps
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM

OHHHHH! I feel for you!!! I have one who is HEAVILY involved and I am TERRIFIED of graduation-and he's only a Freshman! I'll cross my fingers and say my prayers for your team!!!

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM
That's sweet!!! And someday you will attend more games as a grandma!!!! Life cycles on.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM

hugs

What an exciting ending to his high school basketball "career"!!! I hope when my son stops playing that it will be that memorable and exciting!!

Good luck to your son, and please update us!

Momsalawyer
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks everyone!  I will be sure to give you the update tomorrow (we will not be back from this far away road game until at least midnight- California is a big state!  Yes, we do have the games on video tape.   Have a great day and thanks for all the good thoughts!

Momsalawyer
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this

OK, we lost in quarterfinals but my son played well and handled the end very well.  Besides volleyball started today!

urbpro
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Awww, thanks so much for posting this :o) I have 5 kids who all play soccer and sometimes when I'm lugging camp chairs and ball bags and coolers up and down 7 fields from 8am to 4pm, I forget that it will end and these have truly been some of the best family memories we have had :o) Congratulations to you and your son!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN