Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Do you take kids to sporting events?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM
  • 21 Replies

We took our kids to a minor league hockey game last week and we cannot believe the mouth on some of the kids.  The parents were right there too, shouting right along, encouraging fights among the players.  Our kids found watching the audience more fascinating than watching the game.  What is your experience?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I think hockey is a unique sport in the violence factor. We've always taken kids of all sizes to basketball, football, wrestling, track, soccer... and I've RARELY witnessed behavior like that. However, with hockey I'd expect it. It's a part of the game. 

mamavalor
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I guess it's a culture shock and naive of me to think that hockey fans are like baseball fans.  I knew they wouldn't be like tennis fans. :)

Quoting MamaSnaps:

I think hockey is a unique sport in the violence factor. We've always taken kids of all sizes to basketball, football, wrestling, track, soccer... and I've RARELY witnessed behavior like that. However, with hockey I'd expect it. It's a part of the game. 

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM
I think there is a general rule among my kids friends parents that some bad words are ok at a sporting event. I don't agree..but I'm a bit of a prude sometimes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM
We take them to our local minor league baseball team but it is really family friendly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM
3 moms liked this
We do NASCAR races and baseball, both minor and major leagues and have never had an issue with excessive foul language.

We did one King's hockey game and were up in the nose-bleeds, all scouts around us so no issues. I would love to go again in the lower levels.

I would not tolerate my kids using foul language no matter how many others were using it and I would probably get myself in trouble telling others to shut up if they were cussing in front of my kids!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Just take it as an opportunity to teach your kids what NOT to do. Hiding them from the wrong stuff isn't going to make them not do it or understand how it's bad behavior. You get to decide how they understand and handle it, so this is your chance on this one!

Quoting mamavalor:

I guess it's a culture shock and naive of me to think that hockey fans are like baseball fans.  I knew they wouldn't be like tennis fans. :)

Quoting MamaSnaps:

mjande4
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM

We have season tickets to our college's football, basketball, and baseball games. We have found over the years the college crowd is much tamer then the pro sports crowd.  It may have something to do with the education level.  Either way, the college game atmosphere is much more family friendly.

mamavalor
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Thanks.  I will look into college sports games.  Probably cheaper too.  ;)

Quoting mjande4:

We have season tickets to our college's football, basketball, and baseball games. We have found over the years the college crowd is much tamer then the pro sports crowd.  It may have something to do with the education level.  Either way, the college game atmosphere is much more family friendly.

mamavalor
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

You are so right!

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Just take it as an opportunity to teach your kids what NOT to do. Hiding them from the wrong stuff isn't going to make them not do it or understand how it's bad behavior. You get to decide how they understand and handle it, so this is your chance on this one!

Quoting mamavalor:

Quoting MamaSnaps:

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I agree.  I have said to them, "Ohhhh.....no......if you acted like that, your butt would NEVER go anywhere again."  haha

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Quoting mamavalor:

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN