Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Some people should use what they learned in Kindergarten! **Let me rephrase...

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

So, I'm the coach coordinator for our league.  What this means is that I'm a resource.  I share drills that I find, encourage others to pass on their own drills to others, support coaches if they need it, etc. 

A friend of mine (another coach) came up with the idea of a coaches meeting once a month to share ideas and get to know each other....you know, do a little check-in to see how things are going.  Well, I sent it out and the Vice President emails me and says he has had 3 people email/text him wondering why I'm making this mandatory (which I never have) and what my intent is with this. 

Okay...#1  Why are they not directing their question to me?  Don't do this passive/agressive shit because I'm not down with that.  Ask me directly.  Had they email/texted me, I would have said "no, of course it isn't.  It is just an opportunity to hang out and share ideas" (as I've mentioned in my previous emails).

#2  IF they could go, why not go?  I know I don't know eveyrthing and my personality is the type to learn from others and since we have very new coaches, why are they upset that we have an opportunity to learn from others?  Also, we draft our teams every year so it's likely that 3/4 of our team will end up on another coaches team so we might as well work with each other for the betterment of the league.

#3 It's an hour on a friday at a mexican restaurant with beer????  Who wouldn't want to go ?  hahaha

I'm offering an OPPORTUNITY for people to get together one hour a month (if they want) to come and get to know each other, share ideas, and ask for advice.  If they want to go....go.  If they don't.....don't.  BUT...don't complain about it to someone else when you don't have to go in the first place. 

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM

ME!! I wouldn't want to go. These coaches give up a HUGE amount of time for our kids. My husband and I have been the team parents and he's coached and demanding ANOTHER hour on top of practice every evening, games on the weekends and the little crap they have to do? It really is asking a LOT. 

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Quoting MamaSnaps:

ME!! I wouldn't want to go. These coaches give up a HUGE amount of time for our kids. My husband and I have been the team parents and he's coached and demanding ANOTHER hour on top of practice every evening, games on the weekends and the little crap they have to do? It really is asking a LOT. 

It's OPTIONAL.....i've never made it mandatory.  I've suggested if you want to go....come out and hang out.  The idea is to get more ideas from other coaches.  My problem with all of this is that they want to complain to someone else but not ask me directly if it's mandatory or not (which i have never suggested it was).  It's people not being direct and, instead, being passive/aggressive. 

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM

You asked who WOULDN't want to go. 

Now the going around you? That's just stupidity. Sometimes I think with sports they avoid the women who are part of the organization. The good ol' boys club kind of thing. 

We had a female league commissioner for football for several years and a lof of the coaches were a PITA to her. She was the best commissioner we'd ever had, but seeing how she wasn't a guy? her first year was HELL. 

M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Quoting MamaSnaps:

You asked who WOULDN't want to go. 

Now the going around you? That's just stupidity. Sometimes I think with sports they avoid the women who are part of the organization. The good ol' boys club kind of thing. 

We had a female league commissioner for football for several years and a lof of the coaches were a PITA to her. She was the best commissioner we'd ever had, but seeing how she wasn't a guy? her first year was HELL. 

That was rhetorical because I mentioned it was at a mexican restaurant with beer and to be funny.

My main vent is the fact they didn't go directly to me to talk about this but, instead, went to the Vice President. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM
I'd probably go just for a Margarita! LOL

I do Boy Scouts and enjoy social time with other leaders away from the kids. If we were doing softball/baseball I would still probably want to go for adult time.

However, some may have issues with childcare so it may not be an option.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri aka HOT MOMMA on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I'd probably go just for a Margarita! LOL

I do Boy Scouts and enjoy social time with other leaders away from the kids. If we were doing softball/baseball I would still probably want to go for adult time.

However, some may have issues with childcare so it may not be an option.

Right?  Margarita time! 

I am making it an option and, if they want, bring the kids (because we'll have ours) but my point is don't go if you don't want to go....just don't complain.  I think that is what is really bothering me.  I'm trying to help but people want to complain and not to me....to someone else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)