Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Venting so I can keep going to baseball games!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is a junior in high school.  He's been on the varsity team at his high school as a pitcher only since his sophomore year.  We got a new coach this year who apparently can't stand my kid, no he doesn't know why, yes he has tried.  My kid is currently being recruited by a few college scouts and has  a couple of pro scouts that keep in touch.  The junior year is pretty important.  Guess what?  Coach told my boy he would NEVER start, NEVER close and would be lucky if he pitched even a few innings this year.  When my boy asked him why the coach said, "because you are a loser".

Not exagerrating, this kid shows up early and stays late for practice, never complains, never bad mouths any coach, cheers for his team while riding the bench and is so modest none of his teammates know about the scouts.   It is AWFUL to see him sitting in the dug out looking so eager to go out and pitch and watch the coach pick other boys who are no where near as good at it.

Worse part?  Several of the senior boys and their parents have approached my husband and I to say how bad they feel for my kid because the coach is so mean to him.  We just say, "yes, it's been a difficult year so far" because we don't talk down coaches.

Athletic director is this coaches brother--no help there.   I'll just keep going to games and cheering for the team until my son quits all together, which he is threatening to do for summer ball and his senior year.  There go any college scholarships..................

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Go over him to the principal?

See about getting an inter-district transfer to another school?

Put him in a travel league so he can still be scouted.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momsalawyer
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Thanks for the ideas.  Intra-district transfers aren't allowed in our league without losing a year of varsity eligibility.  Travel ball is already in the works.  Thanks

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Our area could be very different than yours, but a lot of private high schools offer sports scholarships in our area. The private high schools usually do better in the state tournaments too.

I hope the travel ball works out.

I only have a kid in junior high, and so I have no idea how the scouting and high school sports work yet. Sorry.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I am so sorry he is going through this. I was going to say club team. That was our plan if my DD did not make the lacrosse team. She is so good but they play favorites and I guess it doesn't matter how good you are if you are a senior you are a starter and can only play on varsity.

bumNmoos_mom
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Can you transfer him to another high school??... Inter city transfer or something. It is rough seeing your child being treated that way. Hope it all works out.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM

GO TO THE SCHOOL BOARD ASAP. To hell with the AD. I might notify the AD that you are going to file an abuse complaint about the coach to the board and you expect immediate action. Speak with the other parents and ask them if you can tell the board what they've said to you and that they've noticed the abuse. I'd expect most of them to say yes. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Any updates?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN