Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

Summer time

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do your kids play sports over the summer?

My DD with be taking her final year of life guardingclasses this summer. Next year she will be working. She also plays on a summer lacrosse league. My son will be attending camp so he will have swim lessons. he is only 5 so no organized summer sports.

by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM

My kids do karate and gymnastics - both train year round. The gymnastics center is closed for 2 weeks (1 week of the "closed" time is a gymnastics skills day camp and DDwill probably go to that).

They will miss some tie from sports as they all go to church camp and scout camp.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Thats sounds like fun. I have looked into Karate for my son but its so much money. We just don't have the $70-$80 a month for it but I think it would be great for him.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

My kids do karate and gymnastics - both train year round. The gymnastics center is closed for 2 weeks (1 week of the "closed" time is a gymnastics skills day camp and DDwill probably go to that).

They will miss some tie from sports as they all go to church camp and scout camp.

Barabell
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

This summer, my son is doing tennis lessons and rec soccer. He's also doing an overnight hockey camp in August, and I believe his AAA hockey team will start having practices again in August too.

Barabell
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I'm debating whether to sign him up for some kind of hockey lessons. In addition to sports, we're going on vacation and he has Scouts. August is going to be a busy month for him because he has two overnight camps back to back, and both Scouts and hockey are very physical activities.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM

How old is your son? My son is only 5 so we are not doing over night camps yet but my DD has been going to over night sports camps since she was 10. She loves them. Is scouts Boy scouts? We cant wait for him to be old enough to join that.

Quoting Barabell:

I'm debating whether to sign him up for some kind of hockey lessons. In addition to sports, we're going on vacation and he has Scouts. August is going to be a busy month for him because he has two overnight camps back to back, and both Scouts and hockey are very physical activities.

Barabell
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

He's 13, and will be 14 in the fall. He's been going to overnight camps since he was 9, almost 10. He loves them too. The other overnight camps were just camping style ones. This will be his 3rd sports overnight camp. He went to this same camp last summer with three friends, and him and one friend are returning again this summer. That friend didn't do hockey last winter season, but he's doing lax this summer and going to be a hockey goalie again in the winter. 

Yup, he's in Boy Scouts. He was in Cub Scout for several years too. It requires a lot more parent involvement than Boy Scouts does.

Quoting Jessiejack:

How old is your son? My son is only 5 so we are not doing over night camps yet but my DD has been going to over night sports camps since she was 10. She loves them. Is scouts Boy scouts? We cant wait for him to be old enough to join that.

Quoting Barabell:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I read my post again and sound insane...let me clarify...they all don't do all of it..lol

My oldest and I train in karate. The younger 2, both do gymnastics.

They will each go to a week of church camp.

The boys and I will go to Boy Scout camp for 1 week.
DD will go to gymnastics day camp for a week.

Oh yeah, and my oldest flys out tomorrow to go to Oregon for 2 weeks to be with my in laws. (He will be home about 6 days before we go to scout camp.)

Quoting Jessiejack:

Thats sounds like fun. I have looked into Karate for my son but its so much money. We just don't have the $70-$80 a month for it but I think it would be great for him.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM

My older son is doing a summer basketball league. My younger is almost finished with baseball but isn't going to be doing any organized summer sports. We are going to continue to hitting/catching the baseball with him.

nymom13
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM
My daughter plays soccer in the summer. She also does karate and swimming lessons.
_Mrs.H_
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM

They do conditioning.  He starts that up again on Tuesday.  I was thinking about a camp but there aren't any good ones around here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN